1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Certain copies don't play on certain DVD players

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dbros9, Nov 22, 2004.

1. dbros9

dbros9 Member

Weird situation - a few movies that I have burned will not play in my Phillips DVD player/recorder but will play in my older Panasonic DVD player and also my laptop.
    any idea what is going on -

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dbros9. sounds like another compatability problem. With all the different formats {+/-} this happens a lot. It could be the media, burnspeed, software, and many other possibilities.If you have the capability to burn in both + or - then you have more options to solve this problem. As long as your pc drive that burns the backup, can play the backup with no problems, it should be ok. Just a few things you can try, good luck.

3. dbros9

dbros9 Member

the strange thing is - i burned 10 movies - same settings - same brand DVD-R - all 10 play in the Panasonic - only 8 play in higher priced Phillips player/recorder
    What the hell can this be??

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dbros9, With the extra info you posted, It sounds more like a media issue. What media are you burning? That is the likely problem. Quality among different media, so much variation from quality standards for the dyes.Later

5. dbros9

dbros9 Member

using TDK-R - I'll try using a different brand on one that didnt work on the player/recorder

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey dbros9, wise choice. My step-son can't play my backups on his playstation2 with my verbatim + 4x. But when I gave him 1 from a verbatim + 8, he played it perfectly. Both movies were burned at 4x! Pretty weird,just a simple media conflict. Now on my Apex, it won't play anything off my pc. With my stand alone dvd burner for the tv, It plays everything except +rw. I am still working on that issue. Its like my pc has a different "signature" that my apex will not recognize. On your Media, Tdk does vary. I am currently using verbatim and just tried some maxell's. They seemed ok, I do want try try some ritech ridata's when my supply runs short. Have a good day and keep us informed.