1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Challanging all you hard drive installers!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by m0dnewb, Apr 9, 2007.

1. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

okay here is my problem....i had a friend try to format my harddrive for me....he has done it to a couple before so he knows what he is doing..

he used xboxhdm

okay well when we put the 250gb hdd in it gives us an error 6
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/210562

but its a softmodded xbox so i cant follow that thread.

anyone know what i can do?!

here is my hard drive info..
    Western Digital
    Wd1600JB
    MDL#-WD1600JB-00rea0

i got it at wal-mart(probley my first problem lol)

and then i was going to try to get the files on the hdd on myself but i have a shitty dell dimension 2600 and when i plug it in as the master it says that there wasnt a master hdd found then i put the factory made one in as master and the one i want in my xbox as a slave and it still says the same thing then when i unplug the xbox one it runs perfect....what wrong!?

2. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

So you burned the iso from the xboxhdm and have that in the disc drive I assume. All you would need hoooked up is your new drive, and a cd drive after. Ofcourse your new drive as master. Error 6 denotes you didn't lock your drive. Make sure you write down the password before you lock. I know that hp's and compaq's will freeze lock drives, I'm not sure about dell's. It's an easy fix if it does. Just because you got it at walmart doesnt equate to an inferior product.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

did you set the dell BIOS to boot from a CD and not the hard drive?
    That should be step #1. you can access it one dell (i think, at least my Dell did it like this) by holding F2 while it start.
    In there you can access the boot settings and change the first to CD and then second to hard drive.
    now stick in the XboxHDM disc and choose save and exit and it should reboot, and if you have done it right it will reboot from the DVD drive not the hard drive.
    the way i was told to do this is to put the DVD drive as the master drive, and the HDD that you want to build as the slave drive.
    on my dell i could not do that because they were on seperate IDE cables so as long as you set the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive first it will boot XboxHDM and not look for a boot drive.

4. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

it clearly says in the read me from the developer of xboxhdm that your hd is master.

5. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

yeah this is very helpful cause mine has them seperately connected too.. (the hard drive and dvd drive) i also found out my problem was that the pins in the middle needed to be covered with a littl plastic thing in 2 of the 10 pins everyone failed to tell me that....even the dell people didnt tell me that... but im going to try it now and see if it will boot up..

6. m0dnewb

m0dnewb Regular member

okay i tried it again and no luck!!(i didnt have the plastic thing one the pins cause i was making it the master) i did everything and it still says it booting from AO2 which is the hardrive one i think...maybe the computer i have is just trash! i hate those old ass dell pc's! if i put pictures of what im doing step by step can you figure out if im doing something wrong?

7. steimy

steimy Active member

maybe, i did not use the program much and my dell gave me an error about the video mode when i tried to build one for a friend last week (actually it is his crappy Dell now because i built a new PC)
    But i did get as far as getting the BIOS set up right and getting it to see the hard drive. I just could not get past the first step where Xboxhdm loads up and you choose option 1, then it brings up a long list of your PC specs and such and then after a little bit (a few minutes) it is suppose to bring up a command promt where you type Xboxhd to load it. Mine just got stuck there unless it takes a lot longer then the 5 minutes i let it stay there.
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/using-xboxhdm-to-build-an-xbox-hard-drive-t87.html