1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chameleon Adaptor problems

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by corc, Sep 11, 2003.

1. corc

corc Member

i recently purchased Chameleon Adaptor and Chip and upon receipt the package contained a chip and an adaptor plus a screw to hold the adaptor in place.
    I installed the adaptor plus chip in under 10 minutes with no problems (or so i taught). Upon power up of my Xbox everything worked as before and i didnt see the LED on the Chameleon flash on and off as i would have expected. I tried resetting the adaptor several times put to no avail.

Has anyone else had the same problems with the adaptor and chip or is because i dont have the gold plated pins which now come standard with the adaptor plus chip. If there is a work around without using the pins that someone has successfully completed i would appreciate the advice.

2. Xboxidus

Xboxidus Guest

have you flashed the bios, or are you just using "cromwell 1.8" (found on the chip when shiped)?

make sure youve installed it right too.
    ONLY the solderless adaptor is supposed to touch the motherboard, if you have the solderless adaptor on top of the chip TAKE IT APART NOW!!! once you have the adaptor Aligned to the motherboard-which i was able to do without the extra pins, the thin wire in the "D0" hole, and have it screwed in- just plug the chip into the adaptor face down. by that i mean plug the 10 wires sticking up into the 12 hole plug on the bottom of the chip. that really shouldnt take 10 minutes. there might be some confusion, as its shipped with plastic pieces covering the holes-TAKE EM OFF YOU RETARD!

FYI- you cant flash your chip from cromwell or evox, unless you have A15 soldered to the chip with a wire. At least to the best of my knowledge... thats the only purpose of risking ruining your xbox during soldering. my suggestion is to buy the flash device sold for 15$. if your wondering if you should solder the points E or P to the chip using wires, and you only want to get evox to work- DONT. both (eject and power)are software controllable. just thought i'd clear that up.

to answer a problem with the L.E.D: the chip has a feature- if you turn on the xbox with the eject buttin or you eject b4 you see the XBOX logo- the chip doesnt turn on so you can play xbox live. this is comming from the back of my head so you might want to read a review on the chip or somthing first.

somthing that will piss you off: you could have bought the chip a few months ago for 25$ and get the flash device for free!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2003
  3. laddin

laddin Member

Ready for a Surprise, I got the adapter in place within 15 minutes and spent the next 4 hours trying to find the right place for the led light to come on.

It doesn't...it only comes on when you're running original XBOX programming. Found that in someone's help somewhere. Where I did have problems was with the bios. I used an evox 2.6 bio that a friend was using with the Matrix chip. It didn't work with the Chameleon.

There is a new evox 3.6 available and I am also using Xecuter 2.2 for bios. (and found a pretty cool OS for XBOX too)

4. corc

corc Member

Cheers for the responses but im still a bit confused.

Yes in trying to run the chip using "cromwell 1.8" and i have not touched the default dipswitch settings. And yes Xboxidus i have removed the plastic pieces covering the holes :).

If i am to believe what i am hearing then i have lined up the adaptor and D0 point correctly and i have installed the chip onto the adaptor but when i start my Xbox it goes directly to the microsoft dashboard which i would not expected it to do as i would expect to see the cromwell bios kick in (am i right or am i wrong?).

I will ignore the whole LED issue as i believe that will only kick in if im running an original game but if anyone else could shed some light on my issue (or non as the case me be) i would very much appreciate it.

5. laddin

laddin Member

Try taking out the chip and reseting. I'm not sure what version of XBOX you have. I have 1.2 and didn't pay a lot of attention to the installation for the other configurations. For 1.2 the key point is D0. If you don't hit that point, your XBOX will not operate. If it's not reading the chip at all, it must be one of the other pins on the board.

6. Xboxidus

Xboxidus Guest

like laddin said its probably not installed right :p

you might want to switch to a different bank on the chip- as its possible it wasnt flashed. you sould draw your own conclution from there...

once again- i dont think you can flash the chip without soldering A15. cromwell 1.8 isnt In any way better then the xbox dash beside the fact it can flash your chip, and it wont launch games.in fact i think theres a tricky process of burning an iso that cromwell will recognize as a valid linux bios anyway.

but then again, i really dont know much shit about this stuff anyway and you probably souldnt take my redneck opinion bout it!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2003
  7. corc

corc Member

cheers for the advice guys. There was nothing up with the installation it was all to do with the contact (or lack of) that the adaptor was making with the board. Got a friend of mine to make some pins similar to the ones that should have been supplied and alls working as expected now. Thanks again for all the advice.