1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chameleon mod won't read most DVD-R games

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by 4mykids, Dec 5, 2003.

1. 4mykids

4mykids Member

I don't want anything fancy, I just want games burnt on DVD-R to play on my XBOX (1.1).

After 2 Matrix modchips from EasyBuy2000 that didn't work, they finally sent me a Chameleon chip. Installation much easier than Matrix, no alignment (no push pins with mine, must be 1.3)! Tried many times to install bios with burnt CDRW, ran into file size mismatch every time. Gave up and flashed Bank0 with same bios normally flashed on Matrix with serial adapter. Seemed to work, considered it done, then started having problems with various DVD-R disks not reading. These disks read fine on neighbor's XBOX (with the full-blown 30-point solder job done a year ago).

It's hard for me to believe it's a disk brand issue when my neighbor's box plays them fine, but it does appear that my box only plays certain brands (Fuji and Verbatim so far). We've removed and re-aligned the mod to be sure, and we even re-flashed Bank0 with the Matrix bios.

What now? Should I try to find to original bios shipped with the Chameleon and try the CDRW method? Should I try a different bios? Does it matter which memory banks, or is Mode1 Bank0 the best way to go?

Please don't tell me different disks - I know they work on a different machine. Please don't give me bios names and not tell me where to find them, there's hundreds of examples of this on these boards - I've done the web searches and they all come up dead ends. Surely there's one best way to program the Chameleon for non-geeks like me who just want their XBOX to play DVD-R games!

2. Scot

Scot Regular member

I only see it 2 different ways, one is what you dont want to hear. It is very possible to have a game work on one xbox and not another. They could have 2 completely brands of dvd drives in them. Some drives read differently than others so don't think that this isn't your problem.

If one xbox is running and older bios and the other one has a newer bios then the problem could be media protection. If you run and older bios you will have to patch the game to remove the media protection. You can use ADR Patcher, or Craxtion to patch the games .xbe files. ADR Patcher will also patch a complete.iso if you would like it to.

So try this, since i no that your procedure for making games is correct, because you said that it worked on at least one xbox.
    Download Adr Patcher make sure you download the updated data pack too. You simply create a folder on your pc (lets call it ADR) and extract the files from the ADR patcher into the folder that you just created (ADR) and then extract the folders from the updated data pack and put them in the same folder, it will prompt you to replace the file that is in there, just say yes. Now
    you have a updated patch program that will remove media protection from your games.

Get adr PAtcher here http://www.xbox-saves.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=download&id=526

get updated data pack here
    http://www.xbox-saves.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=download&id=684

If you already have and iso on your pc and it is ready to burn, just run adr patcher on your complete.iso patch the media flags and reburn and try that.

I hope this helps you out. LEt me no.

3. 4mykids

4mykids Member

I'll check the drive brand, that's a valid point. As for biox versions, wouldn't it be easier to match my bios to the version that's working on the other box? (they're probably the same, same person flashed both). It would be nice to avoid a solution which involves re-burning dozens of perfectly good disks which are known to work on a different machine!

4. Scot

Scot Regular member

To avoid having to patch your games you can flash the evox M7 bios on your chip, with this bios it will bypass the media check all together thus no patching needed.

Then you will no for sure if its the media or not. It it isnt the media then the games that you have already made should work just fine with the M7 bios. If they still dont then media is definately your problem.