1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chameleon woes

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by ehacked, Jan 25, 2004.

1. ehacked

ehacked Guest

I bought the Chameleon with the solderless adapter.

I installed it into my xbox, and it seems to be functioning normally.

I don't see the blue light everyone's always talking about, I see a red one! But, I DO see the screen asking me to insert a CD to flash it with, so I'm assuming it's correct?

Thing is, when I put in a CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RW it won't read it! With CD's it spits them out without even reading them. With the DVD-RW it says it can't find "linuxbio.cfg".

I've followed the tutorials on here and several other sites to the letter, but it still won't flash. At least I know that the xbox'll read my DVD's, but not my CD's.

I am using an XBox 1.0, and didn't touch any of the switches on the Chameleon.

Any help is appreciated!

2. ehacked

ehacked Guest

I forgot to mention...

The CD-R's and CD-RW's have been Memorex. The DVD-RW's have been some cheap no name brand.

I can actually now select either the HDB or BIOS at the bootup screen because I flipped the 1&2 switches to on. but the chameleon is still blinking on and off red.

any help is greatly appreciated guys!

3. MikeDDR

MikeDDR Regular member

On some chameleon chips the light is red instead of blue. For the flashing try renaming the bios to LINUXBIO.BIN and put a dummy file of about 250-300 megs... It has worked everytime for me even with CD-RW memorex so give it another try and drop me a line to let me know if it works.
    Oh and by the way don't select anything at the screen, only insert the CD/DVD and press A

4. ehacked

ehacked Guest

I have tried several different disks to do exactly that -- I burn a dummy file ranging from 100MB to 230MB, and then burn the LINUXBIO.BIN to the root of it, and it still won't find it.

5. MikeDDR

MikeDDR Regular member

have you tried only burning the bios file? You could also try with BIOS.BIN as the spelling

6. ehacked

ehacked Guest

I have fixed it!

For everyone with a v1.0 Xbox, burn a 1GB dummy file on a DVD-RW!

Anything less than that and it will NOT work!

Thanks for the help guys!