1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chances of getting a flashable drive?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by mrphantom, Jun 25, 2007.

1. mrphantom

mrphantom Member

I want to buy a new xbox 360 and be able to play backups.

the BenQ drives are non-flashable/soft moddable (No Idea what the latter means?!)

I don't want to buy one, and get a non-flashable drive and be stuck with the console. Are the majority a certain type? e.g. Hitatchi/Samsung? Are newer machines being shipped with certain drives? I'm in the UK if that helps?

2. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

it is pretty much pot luck when you buy a new console. their is a big database of what drives people got from what shop but can't think of the name at the moment, someone else will know it.

As for the Benq drive, the firmware is apparantly nearly finished for that so it should hopefully be flashable soon.

3. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Pretty high. Make sure to check the lot number on the box against http://www.360drives.com and sort the list by lot number. I'm guessing MS made way more 360s than were actually sold, because I'm seeing a lot of old lot numbers in all stores lately. Hell, I bought a brand new Premium with a Samsung MS25 drive a last month and they stopped making those about year ago. Note I'm in the US, and it might be different in the UK. It seems more of the Benq drives show up over there. Also the Hitachi 0079fk isn't flashable via software.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  4. navsav

navsav Regular member

do yourself a favor and buy it at costco - bestchance at getting the sammy drive as well as a lifetime return policy

5. monteca

monteca Regular member

you can lift the flap on the box and check manufacturing date. The 0079fk and the benq drive were only released within the last few months. A bunch of consoles at my local stores werte manufactures over a year ago....so you would definately get a flashable drive

6. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

that site memnock gave u is what i used to buy my 360 a year ago. Bascially you are using the LOT NUMBER and TEAM NAME to get what you want.

use that and you wont be disappointed

7. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Is their eany other way to know when the console was made other than opening the box???
    Never mind read your new post

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  8. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

who said u have to open this box?

it's on a sticker on the outside of the box. all u have to do is pick it up and check LOT NUMBER AND TEAM, if no. pick up another one and look.

9. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

I know that but monteca said to lift(open)the flap on the box.Thanks for the info one more thing so the lots 0700 and up are made in 2007 correct?? Trying to get the newest ones out their so hopefully it will last longer than my first