1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chancing a video to MPEG format?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by kartsuli, Jan 14, 2004.

1. kartsuli

kartsuli Member

Hi! Could someone give me advices? I have a film in cd-r, the file is called Nousukausi.2003.DVDRip.XviD-NmG, and in properties box it says that this is MPEG Layer3. Problem is, that I can't watch this film in my DVD player. Is it possible to change this film into some other format (MPEG1?), so I can use it in normal DVD player? Now it works only in computer.
    Could you tell me, how to change it and what program I should use? I'm a real beginner in these things ;o)

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well This File should have an ".avi" extention and it seems that it was encoded useing the XviD codec which I suppose you have installed cuz if you didn"t you couldn"t watch it on your PC and it has Mp3 audio...You will Need to encode the File to Mpeg1/VCD format or if your DVD player supports it you can do Mpeg2/SVCD which is over twice the Quality of VCD...You will have to Put Most all Full Movies on 2 CD-R"s cuz you can only fir 70-80 minutes of Video in VCD Format on a CD-R...A couple of encoders that are fairly easy to use and Produce Quite Good Quality are "Tmpgenc" and "MainConcept Encoder" ,The MainConcept encoder would be best I think in this Case because Tmpgenc does not like Files encoded useing the XviD codec and it doesn"t like Compressed audio formats like Mp3 and especially VBR Mp3...After encodeing to VCD you will have to Burn the Files to CD-R in VCD Format useing something like Nero in Video-CD mode......Cheers

3. kartsuli

kartsuli Member

I downloaded that program, but it didn't read this file. I'll try to find the same film in "avi" and encode that to Mpeg 1 or 2. Maybe it's easier that way? Thanks for your advice anyway ;o)

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well that Movie should Be an AVI...It"s File name seems to say that it used the XviD codec which would make the File an AVI file...Can you Play the file on your PC??? and what is the Real extention of the File???

5. kartsuli

kartsuli Member

I,ve now loaded that film in "avi", and I tried to encode that with both of those programs you told.
    Now when I try to add a video file, both of those programs tell me that "file Nousukausi.avi can not open, or unsupported." If I add an audio file, that works, but videofile doesn't. What could be wrong? This film is working perfectly in my computer, so it can't be damaged? What to do next?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

The "Can Not Open or Unsupported "Message in Tmpgenc can usually be Fixed by going to "options" to "Enviromental settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and rause the Priority of the "Direct Show File Reader" to "2"....Cheers

7. kartsuli

kartsuli Member

Priority of the "Direct Show File Reader" was -1, but how do I change that? I tried to change it, but I can't...? I tried some other avi-files too, but it always says the same "can not open or unsupported."

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t think you tried very Hard to change the Priority Because all you do Is Right click the "Direct Show File Reader" and go to "Raise Priority" and Repeat untill it is at "2"...

9. kartsuli

kartsuli Member

Ouch, now I feel stupid! That didn't even cross my mind, sorry ;o) Anyway, I rised that, but it's still the same : can not open or unsupported. Could there be something wrong in this file? In properties it says that this is a videoclip, and the size is 697 Mt.

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well that is allways a possibility with Downloaded files...Can you watch this File on your PC without any Problems??? Tmpgenc can be really picky at times so have you tried a different encoder?? Something like the Mainconcept Encoder is a lot less Picky and about 3 times as Fast and produces Simular quality files....

11. kartsuli

kartsuli Member

Finally I did it! I used Mainconsept encoder and first it was not working, but then I went to "options-import module" and I disabled direct show import and then it was suddenly working! But now I have another problem, a file is now 1,28 Gt so it doesn't fit in one cd....how do I split it in two cd's and what program do I need for that?
    Thank you very much for your help and patience with this beginner...;o)

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Tmpgenc has a Basic Mpeg editor, if you go to "File" to "Mpeg tools" to "Merge & Cut" and here you can cut your file into Pieces...Also while you are encodeing with Mainconcept it has a setting were it will split the file when it gets to a certain file size...Cheers

13. kartsuli

kartsuli Member

Now I got everything right, and I burned one part of the film to cd. Nero was saying something about wrong aspect ratio. When I played this cd in dvd-player, the sound was perfect, but the picture was shown in 12 different little boxes....Main concept was giving 4:3 by default and I didn't change it, so which one should it be, 16:9? But TV is normal tv, not wide screen.