1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change Dell Case question?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rob13, Apr 16, 2007.

1. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Hi, I was just wondering if you can change a Dell Dimension 8400 Series Case to better one? Can anyone help?.....

2. steimy

steimy Active member

as long as you buy a case for the type of motherboard you have, you should not have a problem.

3. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Where's probably the best place to find out what kimd will work? The board I have is a LGA 775. Please help...

4. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

if its standard ATX board it should fit into most cases look on newegg and you should be able to fine a good one pretty cheap :p i dont know if the power source will fit from your dell so that might also be something to think about.

5. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

No your Dell motherboard is mounted to a Dell motherboard tray its not standard atx.

6. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Then what kind of board is it? miniatx, micro xtx, babyatx PLEASE HELP!....

7. HRJustin

HRJustin Guest

from that post im guessing that its not any kind of standard motherboard lol im just guessing but i think dell has its own style of motherboard like some other prebuilt computer companies. its a dell motherboard mounted to a dell tray in a dell case so everything is right from dell lol :p

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

dell uses proprietary crap. last i heard, you couldn't even use a standard power supply on a dell motherboard. just do a motherboard swap when you replace your case, but keep your processor, ram, drives, etc. you'd be fine.

9. rob13

rob13 Regular member

If I do a straight swap of boards, how do I take my Intel P4 processor to the new board? Also, what board would support all of this? = I have 2 drives, 1 Internal hdd, 1 external hdd, 1gb of ram = 4 slots, PCI-E 16x Video Card, 6 usb ports. PLease help!

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

go to newegg.com or another online store and search for boards that meet your needs. advanced searches are very helpful.

there's a variety of clips that hold your heatsink fan and processor on. it's very easy to figure out, though. just google it.

11. CrowDUDE

CrowDUDE Member

I have an old emachines pc and i switched cases without any problems...if anything, why not call Dell support?

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

there's a difference between old emachines and modern dells.

13. CrowDUDE

CrowDUDE Member

I’m well aware of that! If Dell’s proprietary crap as you said is true, i’ll stay clear of Dell computers as I’m shopping for a new machine…

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you're far better off just building your own, especially with vista-designed computers now.

15. CrowDUDE

CrowDUDE Member

I’m exploring that option right now! I’m interested on the Core 2 Quad; Gateway has one that I liked, then again perhaps building my own is the best choice… what are the Pros and Cons between the two in you opinion?

16. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if you're halfway computer savvy, there are no cons to building your own pc. you know exactly what's in it, you know it's put together right, you know how to swap pieces and upgrade when you want to, and you've got something suited to your needs. no proprietary crap, no bungled version of windows (well...a *less* bungled version of windows), no inferior parts, no real paying of overhead for a simple job to do.

buying a prebuilt is like paying a kid to mow your lawn. sure, it's quick and easy, but it's never done as well as if you'd done it yourself, and you don't get that satisfaction from a job well done.

17. CrowDUDE

CrowDUDE Member

Yeah! I’m savvy enough to mow my own lawn, I’ve done my share of building and fixing for myself and others…it’s the quick and easy I’m after since I don’t have the patience I once had… Ah! Decisions, decisions….

18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

honestly, though; once you've decided what you want and ordered the parts, they'll all be there in a week. it take less than an hour to assemble a computer, and installing windows is as easy as put a baby in a microwave.

19. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

The only Dell's that are pretty much standard mATX are the Dimension B110,1100,2300,2350,2400,3000,4600,4700 and Optiplex 170L.

Like these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other than the above models all other Dells that I know of are highly
    proprietary.

20. rob13

rob13 Regular member

Do most mobo's have connector for fans? I'm going to buy a new mobo, case w/2 fans, ect... Just need to know...