1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change firmware?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by bamapsp, Jul 7, 2007.

1. bamapsp

bamapsp Member

I have a PSP with 2.71-TA-082. I don't know much about hacking/modding and don't know that I will really get into that, unless someone can tell me the good reasons too.
    My question is this, I've got two games now requiring me to upgrade to 2.81. From reading up on things, I don't know if I should do that or not. Any suggestions or helpful info?

2. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

If you're not big into hacks/homebrew, then go ahead and upgrade as high as you want. The biggest reason I never upgraded was so I could play SNES and NES games on my system. If this doesn't catch your fancy, then there is also POPstation in the newer custom firmwares that allows you to play Playstation 1 games on your PSP - which is the only reason I upgraded my 1.5 system.

Now, if you think about dabbling with homebrew, you should look at this guide:
    http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-hacks-9/t-guidethe-ultimate-downgrader-guide-90916.html

If you follow the steps in the link above, the chances of you ruining your PSP by downgrading are nearly zero. I used the 2.71 easy downgrader on my brother's TA-082 and it worked like a charm. After doing so, you should probably upgrade to Dark-Alex's firmware 3.40 OE-A, it'll run all homebrew applications, as well as have the features of 3.40 firmware, including being able to play your two 2.81 games. Here's a link to get that:
    http://dl.qj.net/3.40-OE-A-PSP/pg/12/fid/13553/catid/163

If nothing above excites you very much, then I don't think the homebrew scene is for you. Go ahead and just upgrade to Sony's official 3.5 firmware.

*Edit = Sorry, I've been away from Afterdawn for a while and forgot how to add links.*

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  3. bamapsp

bamapsp Member

Thank you. Very helpful. Now, I am intrigued by having more options like you've mentioned, I'm just a little leary of screwing things up. Where can I find more info on homebrew apps and about playing PS1 games?

4. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

Okay, getting PS1 games on your PSP is actually really simple. Keep in mind this will only work with custom firmware, such as 3.40 OE-A that I mentioned earlier.

Here's a list of the things you need.
    ---------------------------------\
    1-An .iso, .img, or .cue file of the game you wish to put on your PSP.
    2-Simple Popstation GUI (http://dl.qj.net/EBOOT-Tools-Utilities/pg/12/fid/12220/catid/192)
    ---------------------------------/

To get a .iso/.img file, download a program such as ISOBuster or CloneCD. Put the game you want to convert into the CD drive of your computer and extract it with either of the softwares mentioned above. If you need more instruction on this step, feel free to ask, but I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

[NOTE: I've found the .img files work better than .iso files]

Download and open up Simple Popstation GUI. Under "PSX Image File", browse for your .iso/.img file. Under "Output Folder", create a folder especially for the game and use it.

[Optional]
    You can create your own background and icon for the game. If you don't know much about photo editing, I suggest you ignore this step; however, it is good to perform this so that you can identify which game you are opening in your PSP.
    All you really need are 2 photos being:
    A 144px by 80px picture, used as the icon.
    A 480pz by 272 px picture, used as the background.
    I just google image search for good backgrounds and resize them to the above dimensions using Photoshop or Gimp and save them as a .PNG file. If they are not saved as a .PNG, they won't be recognized.
    After you have the two pictures, go back to Simple Popstation GUI and click on "Customize the Eboot (+)". Under the first/top box (ICON0.PNG), use your 144x80 picture. Under the third box (ICON1.PNG), use the 480x272 picture. Everything else is unnecessary.
    [END Optional}

In the Simple Popstation, click on GO and it will generate the game for you. After it is finished, it will ask if you want to put the game on your PSP, if you have it handy and connected to your computer, go ahead and click on yes. If you don't, just copy the output folder to PSP->Game in your memory stick later.

Again, keep in mind this will only work with custom firmware, such as 3.40 OE-A that I mentioned earlier.

[EDIT: If you want to keep up to date, or learn more about homebrew, one of the best places is http://pspupdates.qj.net/]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  5. bamapsp

bamapsp Member

Ok, thanks again for the help. I don't know that I will get in to all that right now, but I guess I should at least do the downgrade and get a custom firmware in case I decided to later, right? I've read that once I go up to 2.81, it would be more tricky to get to a custom firmware then. So maybe I'll give it a try.
    One quick question about changing firmware though. I don't have a USB cable yet. I've just been using a memory stick adapter and transferring that way. Do I have to use a cable to do a firmware change?

6. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

You don't need a USB cable, it'll just take longer without one; I'm sure you've realized that by now, though.

7. gateopen

gateopen Guest

i have a PSP 2.71 and i can't seem to play psx games on it, i have read some threads already but i still don't know how to get over some things.. do i have to downgrade my 2.71 before upgrading it to 3.40 FW?

8. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

Yes, a 2.71 PSP cannot run PSX games so you will have to downgrade to 1.5 in order to upgrade to 3.40 OE.

9. gateopen

gateopen Guest

if i change my 2.71 psp FW to 3.40 OE will i still be able to play the games (iso/cso) these is what i'm able to play at the moment. and will i still be able to go back to 2.71 if ever i would like to well just go back to my old version? tnx in advance...

10. XEnigmaX

XEnigmaX Regular member

Yes, you will be able to do everything in 3.40 OE that you can do with a 2.71.

11. gateopen

gateopen Guest

ei thanks for your straight forward replies... 'till my next question :p