1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change windows xp serial

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by p|mp, Feb 10, 2005.

1. p|mp

p|mp Member

i have windows xp pro sp1a installed and i wish to change the cd key. i've checked out the web and the solution that is widely suggested is to change a registry value to deactivate windows and then run the windows activation wizard. But when i do this it just says that windows is already activated. Which is wierd because i never activated windows. But the other solution i tried involves a program called Windows xp product key modifier but it uses the same method of altering the registry which doesn't work for me. Any ideas anyone?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why would you want to change it unless it is not your own to begin with??

3. p|mp

p|mp Member

ok buddy, it's actually a really long story. But long story short, i have 3 valid keys that belong to me and i am legally allowed to use. I made a post to get help, not to get asked questions.

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

with an attitude like that your not getting any help.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

not when there was possible piracy involved, ask a mod here & will probably say along same lines as what i asked. download xp key changer to see if can use your #'s

6. p|mp

p|mp Member

I assure you there is no piracy involved here. the cd key i want to change to is one that was issued to me from my school. My school participates in the msnd Academic Aliance. As students we get issued a kit of 26 or so CD's full of developers software and operating systems. We are allowed to copy this software and are issued individual cd keys for each application/operating system. I know that the keys i have are valid. Now the reason i want to change it is because of a series of events that lead to me formating my computer. hp/compaq doesn't issue operating systems cds with its computers. The windows xp pro cd key that is on the side of my computer is an OEM number and it won't work with a regular windows xp cd because of some bs with the algorithms being different or something. Now it's alot more convenient to just install win XP Pro SP1a and maybe try to get someones help on a forum to change my key to one of my own, than rather wait 3 days for my recovery cd's to come in the mail don't you think?

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

google it..I found a million programs that will do this

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

If you do a fresh install of windows with even a SP2 use one of your older keys, oem or not. If it is rejected during the install you will be prompted to call a toll free number and then you can explain your position to Microsoft. They will either give you a key code over the phone to activate windows right then and there or tell you to kiss off. If it's the latter, then you could try your key code buster.

9. p|mp

p|mp Member

But the whole point of starting this thread was to avoid formating my computer. There is alot of data that i really don't want to have to back up to cds. I know there is a way to change your key without having to re-install windows, so i'll at least try a couple different things before i go making myself a headache. i know that my keys would be accepted during installation without a doubt. But this whole argument has strayed away from a simple and quick solution to my problem. Like i said before, there is no piracy involved here and all i'm looking for is help; something that you are giving me none of. Now i'm not going to tell you how to go about your business and what i'm about to say is without any kind of attitude or prejudice. But please, unless your next post involves the solution i'm looking for please don't make me waste my time please and thank you. i know like any chump who's installed windows that you need to enter a cd key; everything you've said to me is common knowledge and i know if it comes to that i will go that route. Please keep in mind before you reply that I DO NOT WANT TO FORMAT MY COMPUTER. If the solution you are thinking of telling me of involve that or re-installing windows please exercise your typing abilities elsewhere.

10. jfpolo

jfpolo Member

www.magicaljellybean.com/kf-faq.shtml

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

If you read my post I did not suggest to "re-formatt" your HD!

I said do a fresh install of windows xp. A fresh install will not remove anything on your HD but it will give you the opportunity to re-install a key code.

But I see you knew that already.

Since this thread is for all to see, anyone can type in their comments if they so choose. It belongs to AfterDawn.com, not one individual.

Good luck.

12. p|mp

p|mp Member

thank you jfpolo. You gave me the answer i wanted.
    To ScubaBud. I was under the impresion that if you do a fresh install of windows all the data was erased from your hd. If not i appologize for my ignorance. However you mis-interpret my response. my request was to simplify this process and make it take as little time as possible. By asking people to only post relevant responses makes me spend less time having to read forum replies and writing long drawn out responses. Anywho, this thread is over, i have my solution. Thank you once again jfpolo