1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing book type - DVD player still won't read (but it always did before)!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by markley1, Oct 31, 2007.

1. markley1

markley1 Member

OK - I've done this many times before, so I really can't be that stupid, but obviously I'm missing something somewhere (either that, or I have truly stepped into the Twilight Zone!)

OK - I've got a stack of printable Verbatim DVD+R DL's.
    I've got an LG GSA-5163D Super Multi DVD Rewriter.

In the past, I've ALWAYS been able to get a copy of a full retail movie - Usually in ISO or MDS format - change the book type to DVD-ROM, burn the disc and viola - plays in all my DVD players. I have the movies to prove it.

But since last night, I have successfuly made Four COASTERS using this same method. The movie is Saw III - Director's cut - 7673.23MB - It was a VIDEO_TS which I converted to ISO. I used DVD Decrypter to change the book type, then burned it. Plays just fine on my computer, but I keep getting "disc error" on my DVD players.

So I converted the ISO to a MDS and again used DVD Decrypter to change the book type, then burned it. Again, it plays on my computer, but "disc error" on the DVD players.

I have been going back and forth using Alcohol to change the book type and burning - no success. I have four copies that play just fine on my computer but not on my stand alone DVD player. Mind you, I have many movies that I have done in this exact way and my DVD player reads them just fine!

HELP - I'm about to rip my hair out - what the f*ck is going on!!!!

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

ok, lets back track abit...

you made an iso from a video ts folder? how?!?

also what made the video ts folder?

does this video ts folder load up in dvd shrink at all?

-----------

could just be a bad few dvdrs in the batch if not one thing has changed?

have you checked the burned dvdr to make sure it booktyped it ok?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  3. markley1

markley1 Member

Ok - I used the program Folder2ISO to convert the Video_TS to ISO. Then, I loaded the ISO to a virtual drive in Alcohol and made an image (MSD) file. Long way to go, wish I knew of a shortcut!

Anyway, yes, all four "coasters" are showing up as Book type DVD-Rom when I check them - they play on the computer just fine, just disc error on the DVD players. Weird, huh?

And yes, the Video_Ts folder loads up just fine in DVD Shrink - I changed the settings to show that I wanted a full DVD-9 and no compression - loaded up just fine. But from what I understand, I have to use DVD Decrypter to burn it after changing the book type and Decrypter only recognizes ISO files...unless things have changed of course...

:D
    Deb

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Jumping in....

Try using the Build mode of ImgBurn to create your image file from the folder. ImgBurn will also check the layer break for suitability. ImgBurn is the updated DVD Decrypter.

http://www.imgburn.com

It doesn't take much to throw off a DL burn. At what speed are you burning? Isn't your DVD burner preset to booktype as DVD-ROM?

In DVD Decrypter: Tools -> Drive -> Change Book Type... -> LG tab
    Under Change for: select: Drive (for +R DL Media)
    If the Current Setting: is DVD-ROM, it's permanently set; if not use the New Setting: menu to make the change permanent.

The easiest way to backup a retail title is to use DVD Decrypter in ISO Read mode with AnyDVD to rip and then DVD Decrypter in ISO Write mode to write the MDS companion file to a blank.

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

ok yes folder2ISO can make an iso but i know as proved this that it doesnt make a totally spot of dvd compliant file, without going to massive detail here

load video ts folder to dvd shrink and output as an iso

then burn iso with dvd decrypter

6. markley1

markley1 Member

Ok - tried that before but could not figure out how to output to an ISO (using DVD Shrink.) it just made another Video_TS folder. Where in DVD shrink do I tell it out make the output an ISO? (I'm sure it's right in front of me, but I just can't find it!) LOL

deb

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

when you hit backup a box loads in front of you

target device / select target divice

shrink it a little too

let us know...

8. morguex

morguex Guest

Did you try other DvD's in your standalone player, maybe the standalone is not working properly, dirty lens, dead laser?

Just a thought.

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

below is a normal iso image looking in at the files...

[​IMG]

and this one is from Folder2ISO it has no UDF file structure and an added RR (Rock Ridge) type...

[​IMG]

what it all means im not totally sure never got to the bottom of it?

10. markley1

markley1 Member

Ok - DVD shrink has done it's thing and Decrypter is burning it. I did shrink it just a bit, taking out the subtitles.

I'm burning at speed 2 rather than 4, just to see if that makes a difference.

Morguex, yep - been trying other successfully burned dual layers in both stand alones just to make sure (Silent Hill & Final Destination) they work beautifully. Hmmm - could it be that my DVD players just don't like SAW? LOL

I'll keep everybody posted - burnings on 30% now, so it might be awhile. Thanks for everybody's quick responses.

Deb

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

standing by............

12. markley1

markley1 Member

Well...IT WORKED!!! WHOO HOO! My son's like, gee mom, you're that anxious to see people die? LOL

I don't know what the magic trick was, but I am printing out your instructions just so I don't forget them. Besides, I still have Disc 2 - special features - to do next.

Thanks again for all the help - from everyone!

Deb

13. morguex

morguex Guest

Good Luck

14. morguex

morguex Guest

Glad to hear it worked.

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

just your ISO creation its IFFY, 50/50 with that folder2iso...

thought it was, i been here before with a guy couple years ago

stick with dvd shrink, tried and tested good iso maker...

have fun im outta here, my work is done...

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

markley1,

Sorry to jump in here at the very end, and all of the above methods are very good suggestions. Shrink is a much better option than the way you are currently doing your DVD's. I don't doubt the way in which you are backing up your DVD's will work however there are much easier and better ways to do this. Here would be my suggestion as this envolves newer and more up to date software (which you will eventually need).

Of course these steps are for creating a 1:1 copy of your full retail movie onto a DL DVD disk.

1. Decrypte your movie in ISO mode with DVDFab Decrypter Get it here
    2. Burn the ISO created with ImgBurn (just a newer version of Decrypter) Get it Here

Presto you will have a complete back up and probably in less than 10 min. Both of those programs are free so give it a try trust me you cant go wrong with that method.

Cheers!

Edit: If you need some help with using DVDFab Decrypter check out This Guide It will show you the different methods of decrypting with DVDFab Decrypter.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007