1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Book Type/ Firmware flash problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by OU812Ono, Apr 14, 2005.

1. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

I have tried to change the booktype in Dvd Decryptor but after I hit "Change" it gives an error message of "Failed". I've done some reading and I'm guessing I need to upgrade my firmware.

The drive is a NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG, F/w 2.16. My problem is the drive is connected through usb2. I don't know if it can be flashed this way. I'm trying to keep from having to crack open the pc and connecting it.

I also tryed poking around in Nero, but could not find any settings to change it in there either. I don't want to go messing with a system that's produced 100+ flawless burns. I use Nero SmartStart, and usually just use the Shrink/Nero combo.

Any info yall could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi OU812One,

I don't have an NEC, but from what I've read in order to make them bitsetting capable you have to use hacked f/w. Don't quote me, thats just what I've read.

Do some looking here http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86 Maybe you can find some answers. Hope this helps.

Mort

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

4. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Thanks for the links guys.

@Mort,
    I guess I'll have to wait till 2r8 version is out for my f/w. I wanted to do pi/po tests on the home-movies I've made. There's some hacked out there, but can't find any definitive answers on it's functionality.

@Fasfrank,
    In Nero, do I play around with the File System Version settings? I currently have it at UDF 1.02, in Dvdinfopro it shows booktype as Dvd+R. Will changing this get me to Dvd-Rom type, or will I have to wait for different firmware?

Oh and on a side note, is that a 'busa in your sig?

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

It looks like it should work. If the DVD-ROM bit-setting is applied to the copy then it should show that in Infopro.

I would stay with the UDF 1.02 unless someone who knows more than I do about this can tell you different....Mort?

Edit: After reading the link Mort posted It looks like your burner would need to be flashed with one of the hacked firmwares to support bitsetting. This is probably why you can't get Nero to set it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hi fasfrank,

I don't know since I use lite-ons booktype utility to booktype my +r media dvd-rom. Maybe Rotary could provide some knowledge.

Mort

8. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Hey guys, did ALOT of reading and finally decided what I wanted to do. I used some "hacked" F/W and found a flasher with a GUI that worked great. Thanks for all the help.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Your welcome. Glad to see you got it figured out. Like I said I was fairly sure nec's could booktype +r media to dvd-rom but required modified f/w to do so. Since I don't have a nec I didn't research it too thoroughly. I think you will be pleased with burns booktyped dvd-rom. Bitsetting made a believer out of me. Good luck and happy burning.
    Mort