1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing code on DVD-R's?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Gary3072, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Gary3072

Gary3072 Member

Is there a way to copy a Region 2 dvd-r and change it to Region 1 (US) so that I can view it on my dvd player?

I have a music DVD-R that is not copy-protected, but the disc came from the UK and is Region 2 coded. It plays on my PC but not my stand-alone DVD player.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

back it up with dvd shrink. Use its install settings, the disc will automatically be encoded as region free and will play on any dvd player

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Is the dvd possibly in PAL video format. US systems use NTSC video format. The PAL format will usually play kind of jerky and usually in black and white on a NTSC system.

Jerry

4. Gary3072

Gary3072 Member

Thanks very much for the info...
    Do you know if this software will also remove copyguard from dvd's, or do I have to download something else? I was going to try DVD43...

Thanks again :)

5. Gary3072

Gary3072 Member

Actually I found that DVD Shrink has the Macrovision removal built-in (I think).

I tried reauthoring the dvd two times..once with the Region 0 setting, and again with the Region 1 setting...the copy still will not play in my DVD player.

Not sure what the problem is....the original is a DVD-R disc.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

So you are actually trying to copy a copy. No need for Shrink or any other decrypting program. All you need is any disc copy program you have. Nero, Record Now and Roxio all have disc copy programs that will do the job. If they made the first copy right it shouldn't have a region code on it.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  7. Gary3072

Gary3072 Member

The original copy does not play in my dvd player, so I am trying to re-copy it with the correct coding. When I tried to do it in NERO it said the video format is PAL...I got the disc from someone in the UK, and I am in the USA.

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

It is more the PAL format than the region code. They are 2 different things. If it is a copy then the region code was removed, however the video format being PAL will not play in the USA. I think it can be converted to NTSC but I have never done that so I can't help with that. Maybe try a search for PAL to NTSC and see what comes up.

Jerry

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If you have the full version of Nero 6 ultra, it should have Nero Vision Express. I think you can convert PAL to NTSC with that program. The conversion may take some time.

Jerry

10. Gary3072

Gary3072 Member

Hey,
    I tried doing it in Nero and it was a success! The disc now plays in all my dvd players and I even added my own menu and re-edited the chapter selections.

One question: should this project have taken me nearly 5 hours to complete? It took that long to redo the entire dvd which was 1 hour and 24 minutes in length.

Thanks for the help!
    Gary

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  11. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Depending on your system specs that time may not be too far out of line. I read posts of members doing conversions over night while they sleep. The fact that it was a PAL to NTSC conversion probably took longer. Glad it worked for you.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  13. Gary3072

Gary3072 Member

Didnt know Id be upgrading my whole system because of my new dvd-rw drive...lol. I now need to find a decent video card with component video/audio inputs to attach my VCR to my PC. I was considering the Turtle Beach Video Advantage but it's a bit pricey.

14. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

ADS has a box to input video(VCR or Camcorder) and goes to your USB input. I think they are around $100. I think its called something like ADS Video express.

Jerry

15. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

MSI has a sweet card out there called FX5900XT. That is what I am using and have had no problems yet. The card has both video IN and Video Out. Check it out .... it is sweet.