1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing default aspect ratio selection HELP !!!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by 19joey58, Mar 8, 2004.

1. 19joey58

19joey58 Member

please help...how do you automaticaly change the default of which aspect ratio format is being played when the "play movie" button is selected?. i ripped out the fullscreen so only the widescreen is present and the default choice is fullscreen which isn't present.... so the only way it will work is if i setup the DVD first by selecting the widescreen format and then going back to the main menu and playing the movie. if i hit play movie before i change to widescreen the movie just hangs

the movie is for my daughter "barbie as rapunzel"

2. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

It would be helpful if you mentionned which player you are talking about. In any event if you only have the widescreen then your player should automatically play that. I assume you are playing this on a PC.

Regards,
    CK

3. 19joey58

19joey58 Member

the movie is barbie as rapunzel (it is for my daughter) and yes i am playing back the "DVD files" on my PC as a test before i actually burn the disc. i use POWER DVD and yes the "keep aspect ratio" button is selected

the dvd boots up the the main menu that offers two buttons "movie" and "games", after i select "movie" another menu pops up that has 3 buttons "play movie" "chapters" "dvd set up".

on the original dvd if i just hit "play movie" without going first to "dvd set up" the FULLSCREEN movie is played by default. howevere if i first "set up dvd" and select widescreen in this menu than of course i must go back to the "play movie" menu and then the WIDESCREEN format plays

if i do select the same "play movie" on the ripped dvd (absent of a FULLSCREEN format) the screen remains black (no corresponding default format ... and if i pre-select widescreen than the only format present (widescreen) will play as expected

this jumping to the "dvd set up" menu and back to the "play movie" menu is the procedure i want to ELIMINATE. i want to boot the dvd and selct "movie" and than "play movie" and i want my widescreen to play by DEFAULT. my 5 year old daughter will never understand all this.... not to mention my 32 year old wife (if you know what i mean)

JOE

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Rip the movie only by re-authoring using DVD Shrink 3.1.6 or 3.1.7b5.
    Just select the widescreen title and thats all you will have.
    Once it is burned, just put the copy in your player and it plays, menu free.

5. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

Hi 19Joey58, (Joey I presume)

Here's what's happening.. You are keeping the menu system becasue you want your child to play the game. You've removed the full screen and kept the widescreen becasue you wanted to improve the quality of your movie. The play movie defaults to fullscreen and hence points it to a specific title, (whatever title was associated with the fullscreen version). You can't change that unless you have a way of renaming your widescreen title to what use to be the fullscreen title.

ie: let's suppose that title1 is the fullscreen and title2 is the widescreen. Unless you can "fake" title2 to be title1.. then you will have to set it up to play widescreen everytime otherwise the default will prevail.

Messing around with menus and removing titles can have that effect. Re-Authoring while keeping the menus will lead to navigational issues which are sometimes unresovable.

Regards,
    CK

6. 19joey58

19joey58 Member

thank you

but i know this seems silly but i have a hard time figuring which vobs are the widescreen and which are full screen. vobs 06 01, 06 02 and 06 03 are all HUGE and play most of the movie but all three are full screen, vobs 08 01 and 03 01 are much smaller and appear to play in the middle of the movie somewhere and one is full screen and one is widescreen.

is there any clearcut way to determine which vob to rename?, should i rename the vobs or ifos or both?, how about bups?

how about ifoedit??? i know i can reconfigure which audio foramt is played by default by rearranging the hex values. is ther somewhere in ifoedit that i can change the default "pointer" of which aspect ratio format to play by default...so to speak

JOE