1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing media quality

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by vsp, Jan 11, 2005.

1. vsp

vsp Guest

hello, i just purchased a pack of TDK DVD-R's. I brought them home to make a backup using DVD Decrypter however Decrypter reads the DVD-R's as bring SP size, about 2.3 million sectors.

The DVD's say they can hold 4.7 GB if recorded at the lower quality settings, but I have no idea how to change the setting of the DVD-R's.

Any help?

2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Are you sure you're not mixing up lower speed settings, with lower quality settings?

Plus most folk set their burning space around 4.3 gig, which is a lot closer to reality than the 4.7 on the label.
    I can't comment on the TDK discs', because when I joined this site a few months back, knowing nothing about burning dvds' I took the advice of some of the more senior members and only use Riteck.

download Dvdinfopro or DVD Identifier they may give you more information.

regards gringle

(Edit) I just had a quick looksee around their web site, and I'm even more convinced you've mixed burning speed with quality

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2005
  3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

'Sectors' are completely different from 'bytes'. There is no connection between the two. A DVD5 can hold up to 4.35 gigs of bytes. I have no idea what your actual question is, but tdk media is fine, and DVD Decrypter is an easy great program. Just use the default settings, and remember the infinitely helpful say, K.I.S.S. : Keep It Simple Stupid. :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  4. vsp

vsp Guest

well, I had used decrypter fine until this last attempt.

I don't know why, but whenever I tried to burn to the DVD-R with these TDK's it would warn me that the DVD-R was not big enough for the file.

So I started over and used DVD Shrink and set shrink to burn with decrytper on its own and so far it seems to have worked.

I had just never encountered the SP, LP and EP part of DVD's. I had no idea if I had to adjust something to get the space I needed.

:)

5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

If you're backing up a DVD9, then you must use DVD Shrink to compress the files before burning the ISO. When you decrypt with DVD Decrypter, you can check if the DVD you are wanting it decrypt is a DVD9 or a DVD5 by looking at the right hand side of the program under ISO>read. If it says there are two layers, then use DVD Shrink to compress the file.