1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing motherboards

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by didz04, Nov 20, 2012.

1. didz04

didz04 Guest

Hi since I am looking at a second hand computer with windows xp legally already installed. I feel its the best way for me to purchase a computer. I have found a seller on ebay who sells second hand computers (genuine windows xp installed on all) and mentioned another 200 computers coming in the next few weeks.

At the moment he doesn't seem to have any computers that support the am2 cpu's. I have an amd athlon 64 x2 4000+ which I want to use.

1) If I were to purchase one of his computers and purchase a separate am2 supported motherboard would that affect the windows xp software installed in any way or do the installed windows software only associate with the hard drives?

2) When they say a certain software e.g. windows xp pro is installed on the computer, what part of the computer is it actually assigned to? My meaning is it only assigned to the hard drive and computer metal tower where it has been installed so you can replace whatever else you want in the computer and it still will be legal, if you get what I mean.

Thanks

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

No, it's recommended that you re-install Windows for a multitude of reasons really, driver conflicts and likely corrupting your HDD.

If the PCs come with genuine copies of XP installed, then you should receive an installation disc with your PC anyway, so there wouldn't be a problem (or you could re-install using your serial).

Also, what are the other specs of the PC? I would have thought you will be able to run Windows 7, which would be preferable to Windows XP - is it a cost issue?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  3. didz04

didz04 Guest

At the moment it is a cost issue because I have purchased a monitor, separate hdd just about to purchase speakers, have enough for a computer around £70 and under mark but then need it to have a genuine windows xp already installed. Its going to cost a lot more for another windows software.

If the computer doesn't come with the cd, you are saying I can still re-install windows xp using just the serial? In general I have always been happy with the way windows xp and I find it more user friendly but does windows 7 have any more benefits relating to the speed of the computer or is it more a visual thing. I don't mind the standard office 2003 I think I find it good enough to use.

4. didz04

didz04 Guest

Is there a way to reinstall windows xp onto another hard drive in the same system? Like a backup as you say if one of the hdd corrupts?

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yes, this should be possible. Google it.

Windows XP is showing its age now. Windows 7 is not a particularly steep learning curve, and does generally perform better. Visuals are obviously better too.

You can backup your entire HDD, yes. For example, a software like Norton Ghost would do the job. However, this is not appropriate for what you're asking. Ghosting your HDD, changing the motherboard, and then restoring your backup is no different to leaving the installation on the HDD - you'll have the same problems.

6. didz04

didz04 Guest

The Windows XP has been installed on a 80gb hard drive and I could add another 160gb which I bought. I haven't received it yet but the seller had mentioned it comes with no cd but the serials from the computer coa matches the one installed on the hdd. It is an old computer but I was thinking of changing the whole motherboard and upgrading it. Surely I'm not going against the law, right by doing this?

Would it be ok to change the motherboard to my liking and use the windows xp installed on the hdd (officially installed for the computer it is on). Can you purchase the re-installation cd's for windows xp, using the correct serial to reinstall windows? I'm sure I have seen something like that on ebay.

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

You're fussing over nothing. Upgrading your PC is not breaking the law.

You can do whatever you want, whether that be formatting your current HDD and re-installing it there using your serial, or installing it to another HDD entirely using your serial. You can re-install Windows using a CD that isnt yours and then enter your serial when it asks you for it, provided the CD is the same version as the one your serial is licensed for.

Yes, it would, but you would have to format the HDD after your change the motherboard and then re-install Windows.

Ignore pitterlee's post as it has nothing to do with your question(s).

Edit: I've given you pretty much all the info you need and you're just re-asking the same questions, essentially. I won't answer them again.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

didz04, do as what ripper says as what he talking about is true as i work on computers for a living.

9. didz04

didz04 Guest

Hi sorry I didn't fully understand when you said, "Ghosting your HDD, changing the motherboard, and then restoring your backup is no different to leaving the installation on the HDD - you'll have the same problems."

Thanks, your last post cleared things up.

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Okay, no problem, glad I could help.