1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing processor speed and shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by junkbeast, Oct 20, 2004.

1. junkbeast

junkbeast Member

i haven't seen this addressed on here re: processor speed. i'm running a laptop with a P4-M 2.5 gig processor. however, when i check "my computer" properties, sometimes i see, under the processor speed, a different speed, such as 1.2 gigs or 500 Mhz, which i take to be the speed the laptop is running at, at that time.
    does anyone know why this is happening and a way to prevent it? this might be slowing down my encoding speeds (i range from 1,500k--12,000k but average maybe 3,000). thanks.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  3. junkbeast

junkbeast Member

ah, that's what i suspected it might be. i've turned the computer off and on a few times, and it seems to run at 2.5 gigs for a while on start up, then slows down to 1.2.

this is probably unavoidable, no? anyone know of any way to keep the processor cooler longer?

btw, do you think 1.2 vs 2.5 gigs would have a substantial effect on my encoding speed? next time i rip a movie, i'm going to do it just after the laptop has turned on and is running at 2.5 and compare performance.

or i could just start using my 2 gig desktop.

4. Nephilim

Well 2.5GHz to 1.2GHz is basically cutting your processing power in half so yes it'll make a noticeable difference.

I don't know enough about the P4M's to know if you can bypass the throttling or not. I'd suggest using your desktop for all your encoding. While laptops are perfectly capable of encoding their main downfall is that due to their ultra compact design they have relatively poor cooling. I've seen more than a few folks experience shutdowns during encoding for that very reason.

If you'd really like to keep using your laptop for encoding you might look into a laptop cooler like one of these listed near the bottom of this page:

http://www.vantecusa.com/product-cooling.html#

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

5. junkbeast

junkbeast Member

ah, that should do the trick. i'm going to get one of these asap; this should solve my speed problem and keep my laptop from overheating. thanks!

6. Nephilim

Let us know how it goes. Most of the folks who I recommended the coolers to never posted back whether it helped or not, although I guess if they didn't come back things must've worked out :p

7. junkbeast

junkbeast Member

yeah, i was just wondering how effective these things are myself. well, the more expensive one is 40 bucks, and it also serves as a 4-port USB hub, so it isnt gonna break the bank. plus, i can probably send the sucker back in a few days if it isnt any good.

ill post here with an update for sure.