1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing the drive letter for a USB port permanently

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by Kafka, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I have followed the instructions for changing the drive letter for a USB port. The problem is that the change works for one USB stick but when I insert a different one it has a different drive letter. I want the USB port to have the letter M regardless of the USB stick which is inserted. What step am I missing?

ralettabhi likes this.
  2. attar

attar Senior member

This program will assign the letter (or letters) you put in it's .ini file to an inserted flash drive(s).
    The letters are assigned to the drives in the order they are plugged in.
    If you only assign one letter, then the drive would have to be ejected before the second drive is plugged in.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html#download

I assigned the single letter V as my preferred designation.
    If I plug in a more drives, Windows will assign letters.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

For future reference drive letter assigning is not done on the port itself it is done on the drive attached.Personally you'd be better off giving the drives names then you'll know at a glance what drive is what when using the system tray icon.Use my computer or computer in start menu,once you've clicked on it & can see all drives attached use the properties of right click to change the name.At some point you'll most likely need to have two drives attached however they can't have the same drive letter,which is where naming has an advantage