1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat with AfterDawn.com users! (on IRC)

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by varnull, Jan 8, 2009.

1. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

It's still up on spotchat.. usually find me after 00.00 UTC ..

and that's 1000 posts..

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You certainly have had a lot of different names, in the years that I have been on here. I do find it a bit absurd, but to each their own. And, you know a lot and have helped a lot of folks on here.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    ps355528 likes this.
  3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Hello Stranger.. I have.. console wars doncha know.. lol.. can't believe this bot created account has lasted longer than all the rest put together..

4. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

been kicked out of spotchat tonight, too many clients or something. deleted any alternative nicks but still no joy getting back in.

any ideas?

5. ktulu14

ktulu14 Regular member

and it has let me back on.....i hate technology :p

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

yeah.. it's a pretty big network and sometimes the servers get overwhelmed..

to msg me remember I'm pandora these days on irc.. and I'm not usually sat at my computer 24/7 .. more likely watching something on youtube.. but it is up.. and it is working most of the time

7. CorruptedMemory

CorruptedMemory Newbie

I wish afterdawn would move to discord. IRC is so outdated and unappealing imo.

8. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

the trouble with discord is it's total unreliability.. try having an account for more than a few days or returning to a room you have rights on.. see what I mean?

irc is at least free.. plus.. it's volunteer provided.. the irc room is nothing to do with aD .. I provide it, and have done for 10 years

aldan likes this.
  9. CorruptedMemory

CorruptedMemory Newbie

I don't agree with any of that but I understand. I haven't had any problems with Discord and it's been free and reliable for a couple years now hence it becoming more popular.

I was just surprised anyone still uses IRC. I couldn't imagine going back to it after seeing how much more user-friendly Discord is in every category especially the interface.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  10. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Discord is fine for people with the "app".. for us proper computer users it's a complete nightmare tbh...

Every single time I try to use it means making a new account and pissing about.. not worth the hassle.. IRC just works ..

11. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Just a reminder.. the IRC is still up and running.. same bat time.. same bat channel.. with zero bots

That's what you call staying power. 13 years in a week or so

12. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Hi Earthrocker (if you are a regular here).. Sorry.. I keep missing you by minutes.. hang around longer than 28 seconds and you might actually get a response.

Nice chatting with Nubbers the other week.. drop by again sometime.. hopefully you will catch me either not working or awake.. (I can type when I'm asleep.. like stealing memes and being a failure it's in my list of superpowers) just dawned on me it's like 14-15 years since we were haunting the xbox forums.. and annoying Creaky :D (whose sig was never put within site spec.. didn't we all laugh.....)

Just a FYI.. My site juliaskitchen finally folded in 2016.. the day after the 10 years post celebration I quietly let it die.. 10 years on a free hosing and a free domain.. not bad at all.. it was still getting a small amount of traffic due to some of the awesome tourist places threads, the brilliant unique member submitted recipes and the linux dvd ripping masterclass .. rip your protected dvd to any format (or even burn) with zero software except ffmpeg.. just scripts to run in a terminal..

13 whole years without missing a 30 day login window for the IRC across 7 houses and two continents and a marriage.. and a funeral...... even impressing myself here so I'll go have a lie down now.. and think how much money it has cost me in electricity this last decade + 3

13. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Just a quickie.. While the IRC is still up @ spotchat there is now a backup (spotchat has been experiencing more and more downtime these last few months. Why?.. no idea at all)..

So to find the "alternative" (this will be fun) there is something like a mirror at

irc.synIRC.net/6667 #juliaskitchen

There are some really NSFW chatrooms there.. have a look.. you might be pleasantly surprised or be put in the mood for shaving kittens or something..