1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by DCasi34, Sep 2, 2002.

1. DCasi34

DCasi34 Member

Where can I find the cheapest DVD-R around?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Can you imagine how ignorant the question is?-) We have users from 130 different countries and none of the countries has dominant number of users on our boards. So, question is "Where can I find the cheapest DVD-R discs around in XXXXXXXX" XXXXXXX being your country/area where you live.

Cheapest discs in the UK, AFAIK are from http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/ -- around £0.40 a piece.

3. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

DCasi34 - Making the big assumption that you live in the states ! one of your best bets would be to wait for OFFICEDEPOT to hold a buy one get 2 free sale on their BRAND ( OFFICEDEPOT) media ! If you get the 8 X media you will actually be getting RITEK G-O5's which are good Media ( not Taiyo Yuden , Not verbatim ) but good media none the less ! This ias also the same media you get when you buy Maxell 8X dvd-r's Most times ! and as I said if you catch the buy 1 get 2 free sale your cost comes to about .25 cents before taxes ! The media in the add maybe the 16X OfficeDepot & be made by RICOH which is also supposed to be good but hav'ent had much experience with them! additionally you may be able to find Taiyo Yuden 4x Media onslae at various online retailers ! SUPERMEDIASTORE.COM , MERITLINE.COM , SHOP4TECH.COM RIMA.COM ECT ! ALSO you can often find good sales at Newegg.com as well !BestBuy has sales almost every week & often puts the Fuji 8X media on sale & if you can find the ones that are MIJ= (MADE IN JAPAN) THEESE are the ones to buy as they are actually Taiyo YUDEN media some of the best available ! I've used these alot really good media ! DCasi34 I think you need to decide how cheap is cheap ? also you can save buy buying online from whichever retailer you prefer! keep in mind that most times online retailers (No-Name = Their brand ) media is a gamble you would be wise to stick to known brands of media Taiyo Yuden , Verbatim , Ritek ect.. well DCasi34 my friend hope that helps a little ! if I can be of further assistance feeel free to post more questions! Happy Holidays & happy Burning !

4. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

[bold]Sometimes you get just what you pay for.[/bold]

I would suggest doing a media review at this forum and then decide what media you really want to obtain.

See this thread.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/262544

(edited to add thread)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  5. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

9mmruger1- Yassa Bob ! that would work too ! thanx

6. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  7. gear79

gear79 Guest

and adding to what dRD stated......... best buy has weekly sales, office depot, and on occasion, circuit city.

8. DewTheDo

DewTheDo Member

On Black Friday Sales, I've often gotten Media for 8 cents after rebate.

9. gear79

gear79 Guest

but you have to wait another year for black friday........ so it is now irrelevant !

10. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

DCasi34- other than the BLack Friday Sales = Once a year ! There is always the sales Every week or so at the big retailers ! BESTBUY, Compusa, CIRCUITCITY , OFFICEPOT ect! as well as the on-line retailers such as SUPERMEDIASTORE.COM, Meritline.com, Rima.COM & also Newegg.com ! the sales prices may not be as low as a BLack Friday Sales price but they can go pretty low ! & if you can catch a Buy one get two free sale (OFFICE DEPOT) on their brand media The 8x ones are RITEK'S which are Quality media ! Ritek Also Makes Some Media for MAXELL and OFFICEPEPOT puts Maxell media on sale sometimes too! buy one get one free ! And if your buying a name brand that they sell too You can get the same price at WALLYWORLD !! just bring the sale paper with you ! Sometimes WallyWorld is Closer or more convienient! to get to! If you catch the right sale you can get good media for as low as .25 to .50 cents each depending on brand and sale price & or rebates if any! So DCasi34 ol' pal check the sunday newspapers or the online adds/websites for the retailers mentioned & see if you find something you like ! Good Luck ! Happy Burning & Happy HOlidays

11. Eric78DX

Eric78DX Member

@teflonmyk or anyone who may know

I clicked your link and have a question about the top of the discs. They say "silver shiny". Is there a protected surface as with all other DVDS or are these plain/stripped and more prone to damage from ink, glue residue, etc. Great deal btw!

Also...does it REALLY matter if I use - or + discs? My burner does both, but I've only used the + format and they work in my older JVC home dvd player. If I switch it up to - am I losing anything? Now I've read a few things that + has a better "write-to" process, but it is that much better?

I answered my own question at http://supermediastore.com/dvdmediafaq.html

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Eric78DX - The DVD+R vs. DVD-R debate is really a non issue ! If your comparing Apples to apples ! Meaning DVD-R & DVD+R of the same quality level ! The only time that DVD+R makes a difference is if A. Your stand alone dvd recorder only records to plus (Many DO) or B. If your burner allows you to Booktype your DVD+R /RW media when you do this Your basically changing a setting on your burner which tells your player what it's playing ! and when you booktype your dvd+R media your dvd player is fooled into thinking that it's playing a dvd-rom ( Like a store bought dvd) so it gives your DVD+R media a little added compatability ! If your player plays your DVD+R burns fine and your happy with the quality of your burns & media there is really no pressing reason to switch to DVD-R Media ! unless you are loaning your movies to family with different players in which case you may want to either Booktype your DVD+R media or burn the movies to DVD-R instead! Most DVD players made in the last few years will play both + & - equally well! Hope This was helpfull ! Happy Holidays & Happy BURNING!!!!

13. Eric78DX

Eric78DX Member

Thanks BigToxy69!
    I have been burning with Roxio for a while now and just switched to using the DVD Decrytor ISO Write recording process. It's quicker and the quality appears to be the same. I'm sure I can change the book type in the DVD Decryptor program. I'll play with it. Thanks and have a great holiday!!!

14. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Buy some Memorex, you will get the cheapest quality (Not the cheapest price)...

Buy your media like you buy condoms !

Still want the cheapest ones ? <grin>...

15. gear79

gear79 Guest

good point there cougar !

lmao