1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest media for a pioneer dvr 104

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by zendez33, Jan 3, 2003.

1. zendez33

zendez33 Member

I just ordered a pioneer dv-r 104 drive. Im looking for some cheap dvd-rs that work well on ps2 and most dvd players. Ive read Datasafe branded white top is a decent cheap brand to go with burning at 1x. Any info would be great, also a website to order from would be cool too!! Thank you!!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]josh[/small]

2. houdini

houdini Member

try Universal 4.7 GB media.

I used it after bad experiences with crappy media that i had purchased earlier.
    (did not try PS2 - only set top player)

Universal is FANTASTIC !!! 100% results
    I am using the same Pioneer 104 drive
    http://dvd-r.safewebshop.com/

3. ultima

ultima Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2003
  4. kbuegel

kbuegel Member

Also, your PS/2 will play just about anything. Its the older set-top players that don't recognize all the formats.

If you just got your writer, you may be able to write +R as well as -R disks. +R are more compatible with older DVD Players, but +R is about twice as much per disk.

Also, note that the -/+RW are completely different from -/+R. Where a -R will work, sometimes a -RW will not. Again, the good news is that your PS/2 will read all the formats. The only thing you might watch out for is media that specifies writing video at 1x speed instead of 2x/2.4x or whatever (they usually say in the fine-print on the website that data can write at higher speeds, but video can not). Ritek is that way. Never tried Universal. Been using Fuji and Memorex myself, never had any trouble writing at full speed.

5. ultima

ultima Member

That is not completely true, although PS2 will play just about anything, compatibility is a big issue for player that hates to wait for loading time like myself, better media will load faster, I tested a few brand and know that some do not play smoothly, you will notice when animation is playing, it will skip, or stop for a brief moment(less then a minute of course).

DVD-RW that plays on PS2 flawlessly, Pioneer, Mitsui, Universal, Prodisc, Memorex.

as far as speed are concerned, you just need to look for burning speed when buying your media, it will not effect the result, lower speed just records longer.

DVD-R speed 1x, 2x, 4x
    DVD-RW Speed 1x, 2x, 4X
    DVD+R speed 2.4X, 4X
    DVD+RW Speed 2.4X

lastly the "for data" and "for video" thing is just if you record at lower speed for video, video quality tends to be better, for example when a company says for data 2X and 1X for video you can still record video at 2X, it's just movie may skip, but in my case, it never does.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2003