1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chip Installation (Viper GC)

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by antsmalls, Mar 16, 2005.

1. antsmalls

antsmalls Regular member

Any sites installating the chip, I tried, it's to complex

2. jamjars

jamjars Member

i did mine yesterday and if you are competent at soldering or even like me who is just ok at it u should be right. i just cove the area around it with electrical tap or blu-tac so i can only see the one spot i need to solder.worked first time too!

3. antsmalls

antsmalls Regular member

I was told that the gamecube is difficult to solder because the area is tiny, and if you move the heatsink the wrong way, when you could destroy the motherboard

4. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Its easy really, and ive never soldered before in my life...works fine

5. Zeezan

Zeezan Member

Could somebody post a link to a website that has installation guide for this please.

6. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

it's really not that complicated. the points on the board are pretty small, but that's the hardest part. and only two of the wires are difficult. but like jamjars said, just use electrical tape. and the heatsink isn't a problem at all. just pop it off with a flathead and don't slide it around too much. lift it straight up.

here's a link to brakken faq. it'll tell you all you need to know to install plus everything else you need to know: http://forums.maxconsole.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4184

7. indienemo

indienemo Guest

if you heat it up with a hairdryer it pulls straight off

8. molton

molton Member

yeah, I'd really recommend the hair dryer for getting the heatsink off, I got that thing pretty damn hot and I still had to slide it back and forth to get it off, if you just try to pull it off you'll probably break it if you're gamecube's like mine.

Also the soldering isn't that tough, just make sure you use a multimeter with a continuity setting to test your connections and make sure you didn't make any unwanted connections, if you did, put a knife between the two points and melt the solder on both sides of it while pressing down a little, that should seperate it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  9. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

All I had to do was loosen it a little with a screwdriver and it came off really easy.

10. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Yeah good method..

11. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

ok smartass, just because you needed a hairdryer doesn't mean everyone else does. It's a perfectly good method. Even brakken says it's the easiest way to do it in his faq. So why don't you read up a little before you judge peoples methods.

12. indienemo

indienemo Guest

who was that aimed at?

13. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

that was aimed at you and your sarcasm.

At least it sounded sarcastic to me. If it wasn't, then my bad.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  14. indienemo

indienemo Guest

It wasnt sarcasm fool, the hairdryer method is fantastic and it was me who brought it up in this thread in the first place, why would i big up a method firstly then suddently diss it?

15. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

no man, I'm talking about my screwdriver method. Right after I mentioned it you said "yeah, good method..." and it sounded sarcastic to me. You didn't quote anyone and it was right after my comment so I figured you were talking to me.

It's the ".." that made it sound sarcastic. I'm an english major and I read into everything written:)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  16. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I see ;)

Well good for you..

.....NOT SARCASTIC!! :D

17. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

cool cool, I think I'm just a little paranoid lately;)