1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chip recommendations?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by etali, Apr 22, 2005.

1. etali

etali Member

Hi all,

After much trouble chipping my PS2, I decided it would be best to ask for advice before doing the same to my XBox.

I would like to be able to play imports, and preferably backups, with minimum risk to the xbox itself. I would rather avoid disk swapping so think a hardware mod would be the best.

I'm looking at the solderless ones - what is the difference between Xenium ICE and SPICE? It looks like ICE is all I need at the moment but what is the long term difference. Is there a solderless version of the Muppet available?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. mdsup

mdsup Guest

spice = solderless

the 2 best chips are the x3 and the xenium

3. etali

etali Member

Thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear that the Xeniums are one of the better ones because that was the one I liked the look of.

They're at the bottom of this page:

http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/default.php?cPath=9_91

It says that the ICE and the SPICE are both solderless - is that likely to be a mistake?

I'll contact the shop also to check.

I'm a bit paranoid at the moment because my experience buying mod chips online hasn't been the best so far.

Thanks again.

4. mdsup

mdsup Guest

sorry....spice is solderless for version 1.6 xbox(i think)...few months back 1.6 never did have a solderless option...so if you have a 1.6 xbox you need the spice.

just so you know the look don't mean shit...you will see it when you put the chip in, and will prolly never see it again...unless something goes wrong that is....but if you are looking for the BEST modchip, hands down it is the x3...i don't think you can go solderless on the x3 with a 1.6 xbox though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2005
  5. etali

etali Member

Thanks for the advice.

I looked at the guide to checking the version of your xbox - I haven't opened it yet but by the serial number it looks like its one of the newer ones. (It isn't in the date list, but its somewhere between the dates of the 1.4s and the 1.6-es)

I'll open it up later to check.

Theres no way with my eyesight I could have soldered a slimline PS2, but if the XBox is easier, which it sounds like it is, then I'll consider the X3.

Thanks again - this place is a great resource.