1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chip Warning, WII BOSS

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by yorper, Aug 19, 2007.

1. yorper

yorper Member

I just wanted to warn people about a dodgy chip out there produced by some known scammers to the xbox world, cavern imports of Australia.

Theyre now going by the name of team symbiote for producing this chip, which is a blatant clone of the opensource works out there.

Im sure some of you can remember their scam of the fake xbox360 dvd drive? Then the quick backtrack when they were found out, much like this D2C incident, they were claiming their WII BOSS worked on D2C Wii consoles, which it obviously does not...

Now they are claiming to have dumped Wii-Key firmware even though it was leaked via the wii keys own website.

Well what goes around comes around i guess...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems only fair that these be posted, as what's good for the goose is good for the gander :) Shots taken by Redeath himself, of team symbiote/cavern imports.

Should imageshack hosting fail, they can be downloaded directly from HERE.

Everyone has a right to know who they're dealing with before buying a product.

2. densaun

densaun Member

3. yorper

yorper Member

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  4. densaun

densaun Member

LOL..."Sorry to all the people that we had no real chance to credit..."

Righhhttt...

5. yorper

yorper Member

It's just the gamecube dvd player MFE repackaged. Hell anyone could have repackaged it with very limited knowledge. Just no one did as it's pretty well known that it can cause serious damage to the laser with prolonged usage.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You have that effect with any gaming system.

I have always said and always will say buy a frikin $20 DVD player at Wal-mart if you want to watch DVD's. Heck you can get an Xvid/DVD player for $40.

But of course there are those that use an excuse saying some don't have the money to go buy a DVD player so we use our Wii. If you have enough money to buy a $250 gaming system then you should have the money to buy a cheap DVD player.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  7. densaun

densaun Member

Agreed.

8. yorper

yorper Member

Very well said.

9. Wormy

Wormy Member

I was browsing around forums and the chip seem legit. Are you saying this is a scam or something? I don't quite understand what you are saying.

10. brucedlx

brucedlx Regular member

I also don't see the obsession with playing DVD's on a wii. For god sakes if you don't have a DVD player but you have a wii there is something seriously wrong.

I think most people just want the satisfaction of knowing their wii can do what their friends' wii cannot.

11. yorper

yorper Member

If you read the original post again and the links you'll get what is being said. The "team" behind it are just stealing other opensource work and passing it off as their own and giving nothing back. Thus making it dodgy.

The "team" also has a history of giving false information, see the xbox360 dvd-rom info. Along with the claims of "their" chip working on D2C systems.

And now we have this Wii DVD player. Which is in actual fact MFE Gamecube Linux, ever so slightly repackaged. To which i will add they give no credit to the MFE gc linux team, trying to pass it off as their own.

Also failing to release the source code for it, which i might add is GPL (much like the chips info they have used to produce their own and not released their chips info). Thus violating the GPL.

Which in turn brings us back to the original post. About them being dodgy and taking freely open stuff and trying to pass it as their own, whilst giving nothing back to those they have taken from. Which is why i released the PCB designs of their chips.

Not that i expect anyone to actually use them. But it should annoy them slightly. People should stick to the truely open chips... WiiFree and OpenWii to name but two.

Greed is the downfall of many. Think before you buy a product. Know who and where it comes from and where your hard earnt cash is going.

Where would you prefer, Leechers or devs? You decide, but that choice could stifle or expand the Wii modding scene :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  12. u89_

u89_ Member

One thing though, it seems these guys have come up with something unique in that they have a completely programmable chip... What happens if Nintendo bricks modded units with new firmware... at least this provides room to replace the complete code... I think this generic chip is not a pad idea... anyone else agree? (please dont flame me - just opinions). And for the record, I don't agree with the attitude of taking credit for others work... actually I just don't see the point - it's OS, so just be happy to be a constructive part of the community...

But seriously, isn't this a good chip from the generic and OS pov?