1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chipping Playstation vs Playstation 2 & DVD+/-

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bengo_uk, Dec 27, 2002.

1. bengo_uk

bengo_uk Member

I couple of years back i chipped a few playstations (8 wire-stelth) without any problems, i was wondering how much more difficult in comparison would it be to chipping a ps2 with a magic 3.5. Also i just brought a Rioch MP5125A DVD+R/+RW drive and i was wondering what the advantage/disadvantages there are between plus/minus dvd writers for PS2 "back-ups", Any help would be much appriciated, Thanks a lot

2. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I guess from what you are saying this will be childsplay for you. You just solder the wires to the right points. Don't know what version you have so it might be 9 wires to solder for a version 5,6 or 7.

I myself have a HP 200i DVD+r/+rw and copied about 25 DVD rom games sofar.
    I copied them with Nero on DVD+r as well as DVD+rw. They play fine !
    I guess the DVD-r are cheaper a piece, but the Euro 2.30 a piece for a DVD+r don't make me poor.

3. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I have to say that it depends on your level of skill with soldering. There are some PS2 soldering points that are a hell of a lot harder than the old PS points. I used to make/install 8 wire stealths for PS with no problems but then I got into PS2 (back when there was only Neo 1.0-2.2 8 wire mods) it was a different story, points 5&6 were just too hard for me (combination of tools and patience lol). First check out the PS2 board before attempting to solder so you can get an idea of how little the spots are, especially if you intend on doing newer chips that might have 20+ wires! Although there are chips that direct boot and are under 10 wires depending on your PS2 model.