1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choice: Modded xbox or xbox360

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by swatpup32, Feb 16, 2007.

1. swatpup32

swatpup32 Member

I've been thinking about getting a modded xbox even though they are now end of life. I could wait for a good xbox360 mod, but this is the way I see it. If I get an xbox now I will have the last generation modchip (X3CE), a slew of homebrew application, and no need to worry about xbox flash updates. As far as orignal xbox goes I haven't even played a single game. So there is a whole library for me to explore. Lastly the xbox360 ranks last as far as desirability goes for the new gen consoles (IMO). So, what I would like to ask the community is would it be better to get a xbox or xbox360.

I also have a question on the X3 Control Panel. First off, is it worth it and secondly what functionality does it bring to the xbox both in modchip functionality and homebrew.

TIA

2. jeremym63

jeremym63 Member

yeah the xbox is on its last leg but as far as the mod seen goes, its no where near over. The xbox homebrew scene is alive and kicking (which is a great song by the way) and at the moment there is so much more you can do with an original than the 360. I just got into the scene about a year ago and until i can do everything on a 360 that i can do know with my original i dont see a reason to get one yet. But thats just my opinion. And no idea about the x3 control panel i stick to the x2.6ce.

3. vegeta999

vegeta999 Member

Id rather have a modded origional XBOX. Welll i donno if you can upgrade the 360 Hard drive and store games in it, . Im enjoying my XBOX ( no modchip, softmodded ) And im prety much satisfied with it and id never trade it for a 360. I think the 360 is harder to mod than the origional box but hey , i love the origional XBOX than the 360 !

4. no1b4me

no1b4me Member

2 thumbs up for original xbox, xbox 360 doesnt even have that many games compare to the old one, plus you have to get new tv in order to view hd or unless you already have one. I would wait till they can get hard drive replace with bigger one. I love my old xbox still. It has 250gbs loaded of games.

5. vegeta999

vegeta999 Member

Amen to that man , I got a 120GB hehe. I wonder if the 360 has a mod for emulators. hmmm if soo, PSX games would work perfect with the 360 but fo now, orifional XBOX is amazing. Ma pops jus loves playing those old street fighter and super mario games nd shit, brings back the old day memories. WHEN the 360 gets a 360 hard drive to PC hard drive mod, then we can give it some props right there jus as we do for our origional XBOXs now and today.

6. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

The best part is that it's CHEAP.

7. vegeta999

vegeta999 Member

tru, in France , they cost about 75 EUROS.

8. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

They are about $70 bucks on ebay. So get xbox cause i still love playing halo 2 with my friends. I love XBMC. I got like 320gb.

9. KayCeeee

KayCeeee Guest

dont get a 360... they cost a lot for so little crap on it and they freeze a lot and are only good with a HD tv... my friend got one on christmas and he already had to return it 3 times! but that eqals 2 free Hard drives that he didnt put back when returned them =] and also 2 controlers. but anyways the origonal xbox is better than anything. I've been modding for a while and i tend to mess up somtiems but i always have endded up fixing them

10. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

xbox 360 still has a lot of bugs. It freeze a lot. overheat. I never done it but i heard xbox is really easy to install modchip.

11. steimy

steimy Active member

well i have both, and they each have their advantages and disadvantages. The original Xbox can really do more at the moment with FTP and such. But lacks an better picture quality than you can get with component cables. But it can be chipped, have a large HDD installed, stream media of all types with XBMC, and is generally a full on multi media machine.

the 360 has the VGA connection for better graphics, but you can only use those with a higher end TV anyway. Plus you have to back up all your games with a special Samsung DVD-Rom drive for your PC and have to use DVD9 (dual layer) disc for all 360's without a samsung drive in it. And even if you have the Samsung drive in your 360 90% of that games will not fit anyway. And only 20GB of HDD space, which you can not even store and play games from.

So in the long run it depends what you want to do with your system.
    If you want to do it all then an origianl Xbox modded with a chip would be the way to go for sure.

12. vegeta999

vegeta999 Member

Thats the same reason why I dont want a 360, so much for so little crap.

13. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, the advanced graphics through VGA on an HDTV is about the biggest reason people buy a 360. They are quite stunning in 1080i. There is also the fact that most games due to a better system are a bit advanced as far as both graphics and gameplay. It is now about equal with PC gaming which any PC gamer knows will blow away Xbox and PS2 games. Even when they are the same game. Like NFS Carbon for example. On PS2 and Xbox it is just average. On a PC the game has better graphics, better driving physics, traffic in races like it should be and 8 racers in a race compared to the consoles 4.
    So don't get me wrong, the advantages are there. But it can not yet do all the things that a regular Xbox can.

14. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

more people will buy xbox 360 when people starts buying HDTV. I regret i bought mine. It was way to early. But right now is pretty good time to own it.

15. steimy

steimy Active member

having an HDTV already is a must. If not you are wasting your money as you will not get the full benefits of the system without an HDTV using the VGA cable upgrade.
    Component cables are good, but VGA is better. And from the rumors i have heard the next edition will have HDMI hookups and a larger hard drive. This is rumors and not yet proven fact.

can not not say that i am not happy with mine. Amazing graphics was the key selling point.
    The cons were having to buy a special Samsung DVD drive for the PC to make back ups, and that you have to use DVD9 discs which are pretty expensive (about $75-$80 for 40 of a good brand)

I am looking forward to having mine back this week, had some upgrades done to it :)