1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choices in Good Burning Software

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jimbodd, Oct 14, 2004.

1. jimbodd

jimbodd Member

I bought DVDXCopy Platinum earlier this year after the product was stripped of its decrypter. I never tried to use the product and now would like to copy a few rare movies. Should I try to get a decrypter to work with DVDXCopy, or switch to a product like Nero which appears to a bit more simple to work? A second question: I note that you are not too keen on Roxio CD Creator (which I use to back up my work files to DVD) Would your choice of DVD solutions from my first question work alright for file copies? Thanks for your help.

2. marengo

marengo Guest

jimbodd,
    i was suckered in to buying the dvdxcopy myself. If you can return it, do so. I found that dvdshrink along with dvd decrypter works fine. They are both free as well. You could also use dvd shrink with Nero as well.
    Roxio isn't the best program in the world. it has compatibility issues with many other programs. Your best bet is to download shrink and try the free trial of nero.

3. jimbodd

jimbodd Member

Thanks, Marengo. I have owned DVDXcopy for too many months to return it. Are you saying that DVD Decrypter wouldn't work well with DVDXcopy?

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

*edit* wrong thread lol
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

you may need this to completely delete roxio if you decide to do so:http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm...ols/roxizap.exe

6. marengo

marengo Guest

i just found that dvdxcopy is too limited in what you can do. i made too many coasters with that program. you can't set the size of the file you want to burn. i found that the backups were being written but the part of the movie that is on the edge of the disc sometimes skips. give dvdshrink and dvd decrypter a try. They are both free on this site so you dont have anything to lose.

7. jimbodd

jimbodd Member

Will do. Thanks.

8. mukk

mukk Member

there are still a few copies of dvdxcopy platinum, with the ripper, still available. right through this website. i use dvdxcopy platinum, with the ripper, version 4.0.3.8, i'm very happy! if you take a few hours, wish i had, and read the guides for dvd decrypter, and dvd shrink, and download the software, here on this website, you can make perfect backups of your dvd's for free! for all other cd/dvd applications and tools, NERO is the best!

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

jimbodd,
    There is a progy that reinstalls the ripper into studio 321 rf version products. I believe it was written by psidoc (could be wrong). You might look around or ask on the dvdxcopy subforum. I still use dvdxcopy xpress from time to time but there is nothing wrong with dvdshrink just takes a little longer (but it's free). You will also need either dvd decryptor (free also) or nero for your burning utility with shrink.

10. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

http://321rip.tripod.com/

11. brobear

brobear Guest

jimbodd

There are several ways to get some worth out of the Platinum RF. There is the option of using a driver type decrypter such as AnyDVD. About a 30 day trial so you can be using the software while you make a decision on purchasing. You also get that time to decide on your other software choices. AnyDVD works in the background and it's like having a ripper program with any of the ripperless programs now on the market.

You can use DVD Decrypter to rip files to the hard drive to use. You rip with Decrypter and use Browse to open the files.

From the link that Flip supplied you with; go directly to the Download Central section. The first link you will find is a Checklist of things to avoid, fix, or do when installing 321 software. It is a tech sheet from 321 tier 2 support. It is named 321 Problems Checklist. I'd advise reviewing that first. The links for apps are located there with a section devoted to 321 software. There is a link for the older ripper version of the software.

The RF and ripper versions of the program can be on the computer at the same time and they work from the same activation. In fact 321 told me to keep the 4.0.3.8 on the system as a backup if I had the space.

You'll find there are several options for the program you have. In fact a lot of people like the version you have.

If you don't have Adobe Reader, you need to get it. Platinum has an excellent user guide in PDF format. You open it from the Program folder. It takes Adobe Reader to open PDF files.

Just so I don't cloud the situation. The free DVD Shrink 3.2 is a good app. I have Shrink, Decrypter, Platinum and other programs on my PC so I can have a choice. Some apps do certain things better than others and I like having the choice. For instance the Simple (Express) choice in Platinum is faster. Then Shrink is better at higher compression. There are other things to consider, but that little example should give some insight.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2004
  12. jimbodd

jimbodd Member

Again, thanks. I am overwhelmed with the suggestions you guys have given me - all in the space of a few hours.

13. DocCrane

DocCrane Guest

I bought Dvd X Copy, found it to be a load of rubbish, 5 times out of ten i would get a coaster with that program, another thing thats anoying is you get a bright red 321 studios logo crap at the start of your back up,
    Dvd Shrink is by far the best for backing up your films, the diffence between a back up done with shrink and Xcopy is amazing.

14. coxyboy

coxyboy Member

Is Nero Recode as good as DVD Shrink or Decrypter?

15. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... The best combination to use is DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink ... both of the programs are freeware and will handle everything that you encounter backing up your DVD collection ...

... I repeat .. THEY'RE FREE .. FREE .. FREE .. FREE ...

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Free but not the best. Check out RB/CCE for the long movies where even the new 3.2 Shrink has problems. Then there is DVDCopy2 which is a great app for the new digitally enhanced DVDs. Even Nero's Recode2 is preferable to Shrink due to the easier controls. BTW, the author of Shrink is now employed by Nero.

Some people have problems with 321 software because of interference with other apps. There is no official support now, so I don't blame people for being angry. However, I own DVDXCopy Platinum and I find it better than a lot of programs that are available. The program is sensitive to it's environment, so everyone owning 321 software should check out the problem and setup tech bulletin.
    http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=321gen;action=display;num=1089105482 There are a lot of satisfied users of the program besides those that complain about it being a stinker.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

This thread is pretty much the rehash of one of AD's longest running threads.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/56/88038#585830
    The subject was gone over from so many standpoints that everyone got bored silly, which appeared to be the demise of the thread. If you want to read discussions on software they are readily available there. You just have to sift through some useless rhetoric and chatting at times. Many of the major contributors to that thread are fairly knowledgable about recording software and don't just make selections and do criticisms on personal preferences. Also, the discussions are up to date as far as most of the currently offered software is concerned.