1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing Between DivX or Xvid In Players?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by xLusi0n, Apr 6, 2007.

1. xLusi0n

xLusi0n Member

If you have both DivX and Xvid installed, is there a way to chose which one to use when playing files on players such as WMP 11?

I know when I'm encoding, I have the option to chose which codec I want...however, simple players like WMP I can't seem to find an option for decoder.

I assume if a file was encoded in DivX and you had both installed, it would use DivX and if the file was in Xvid, it would use Xvid?

I like to install both, but I (for the most part) only want WMP to use Xvid to play back both DivX and Xvid coded files...

Thanks In Advance.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Directshow works on a priority system. The compatible filter with the highest merit gets inserted into the graph. Now if both DivX and Xvid are only registered for their own FourCC's, then they could be the only compatible filters installed so a file with the 4cc DX50 would get decode by DivX, where as a file with a 4cc of XVID would get decoded by Xvid. If on the other hand Xvid was registered to handle DX50, then if it had a higher merit, it would be used for both.