1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing Playstation 2 over 3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by l2aw, Dec 31, 2007.

1. l2aw

l2aw Member

Yeah. That's what I did when my dad asked me if he should buy my brother a PS3 or a PS2

I would've opted for a PS3, but I've heard many bad reviews and complications regarding it. I may be wrong, but there aren't a WHOLE lot of titles available for the PS3. Moreover, backward playing is not 100% compatible. I just thought it'd be a better idea getting a PS3 next summer, when a lot of improvements and additions are made.

Do you think I made a wise choice?
    State your opinions

*offtopic
    I know I'm not supposed to have anything related to PS2 in this section, but nowhere else was suitable

2. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Bad choice. You passed on a PS3 with information that is outdated/biased as there are more than enough titles to enjoy by now, as well as having an 80% or more title compatibility for the 80 gig model (growing with each update) and 95% with a 60 gig model whereas the competitor is nowhere near that.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  3. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

Are you kidding me? Oner's right. Why in the hell would you EVER choose a PS2 of PS3. PS3 has MANY good titles out right now, there should be lots for everyone. Warhawk, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune are all PS3 exclusives. Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Rock Band and Assassins Creed are all great games also, but are multi platform. Have a nice wait until next summer! ;)

4. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I wonder if l2aw was faced with the same decision for himself if the same choice would have been made... ;-)

5. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

I hope so for gaming's sake.

6. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

No I meant he chose a PS2 over a PS3 on behalf of his Brother... I wonder if it was for him if he still would have made the same choice.

I'm just being cheeky... hehe!

7. henryryry

henryryry Member

With the price of PS2 cheaper than a DS lite, I would have just got both the PS2 and PS3 (in Australia, only 40 GB available, so no backward compatibility, so still enjoying my PS2)...

8. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

I had to get surgery to re-attach my head when I saw your post.

Ever hear of firmware updates?

9. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

This is one of the craziest things ive ever heard,its like going out and buying a Cassette player instead of a CD player.

Maybe you should have came on AFTERDAWN and asked the question before you made your choice.

10. acidy

acidy Regular member

You shouldn't have done it man :)
    Well, the ps3 has the MOST awaited games !! :D
    "Metal Gear Solid 4" is gonna be one of the BEST game in the entire gaming world !! :)
    And you'll have darn lotta games to occupy yourself till this summer !!! :)

neways, since you've already bought the ps2, buy these games :-
    Resident Evil 4 (3, 2 and 1 all sucked) >_>
    Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 and if possible, play 1 too ^_^
    All the Splinter Cell games :)
    All the GTAs :p
    Well, that's enuf to keep you occupied rite ??

11. sanecrazy

sanecrazy Regular member

I dont believe you. I think you lie. Hey maybr we should have a Gamewars ep 5: PS2 vs. PS3 :>

12. glenquag

glenquag Regular member

I know what you meant :) I still would've chose it for my brother, then tell him he wouldn't have got it if it weren't for me as a reason that I should be able to play it.

@CKhaleel - Supposedly people HAVEN'T heard of firmware upgrades!

13. l2aw

l2aw Member

okay. So maybe I made a bad choice. Alright, not maybe, definitely >_>

And it isn't just because it was my brother, that I made this decision :p Although Ryu really made me doubt myself. My fault -- I trusted this article. That's ignorant of me to think things would be the same even a year later.

But really, the only reason I was doubtful was because of the backward compatibility, and my brother has this huge stack of PS2 games. And I'm sure some of them won't work as they're burned ISOs on CDs (ie. not original). Also, I know PS3 has phenomenal titles, but only filthy rich people can purchase a bunch of them :p

14. l2aw

l2aw Member

Also, yeah I'm not very filled-in about firmware upgrades, PSP or PS3, as I've really been out of game news for a good year or two, courtesy uni + work. One reason why I joined afterdawn

I'm probably just blinded by my desperation to beat a few titles on the PS2 (MGSII for one), which I wasn't able to do so because something always kept me from finishing the games - eg. no memory card, busted PS2, moving out etc.

Thank you all for "opening my eyes" >_> :p