1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choppy DVD play back

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by simon6467, Feb 27, 2005.

1. simon6467

simon6467 Guest

I've recently upgraded the kids Pavilion 7921 by adding extra ram and putting in a dvd rom drive. The problem is the dvd plays so choppily that it's almost impossible to watch. I've set the DVd drive in slave running off the same cable as the incumbant cd-rw drive. I am thinking about changing the drives around to DVD master and cd slave but my more powerful dell which has two dvd burners
    (one set in slave) plays dvd's perfectly.
    Can anyone help please I've been down the DMA and they are set the right way

Thanks in advance

2. f4t4lfury

f4t4lfury Guest

are the drives daisy chained together? in other words, do you have the DVD drive connected to the CD-R to the motherboard? if so, that can cause some problems. it's better to hook each drive up with its own cables to the motherboard.

3. simon6467

simon6467 Guest

Thanks I'll try it as they as you say are daisy changed.
    So you reccomend separate cable from DVD rom straight to mother board...ok I'll try it thanks in advance.
    P.s do I set it to master afterwards

Simon

4. clifton51

clifton51 Member

Hmmm...so if you connect each Drive to seperate lines, what happens to your HDD? Remember that your "C" drive must be set as a Master. Also remember that it is not advised (by the PC makers) to connect a CD/DVD drive to the same line as the HD as the line will 'default' to the slowest drive on it..in this case the CD/DVD, thus slowing down your HDD..although you probably won't notice any differernce except if you have any games that need to access the HD, then you may notice a bit of a slowdown.
    My CDR drive and DVDRW are both on the same IDE line (DVD is Master) and have no problems with choppy playback on a PIII 800Mhz with 512M RAM

5. simon6467

simon6467 Guest

Thanks Clifton

I think I may take the swap round route and make the DVD the primary disc drive and the incumbant cd/rw the secondry do I have to set them both to slave of dvd as master and cd/rw as slave sharing the same ide cable

Thanks in advance

Simon

6. simon6467

simon6467 Guest

Ok
    Bad news
    I swapped the dvd to 0 and the cd/rw to 01 I set the dvd to cable select and the cd/rw to slave both were found by xp and worked for audio fine.....video no change however choppy sound and picture. Now another wierd thing no sound problem using windows media 10 but no picture either, I get both sound and picture usind intervideo6 platinum but in such away that the pavilion has a speech impediment and stutters with a still by still effect viewing experience. Okay I upgraded it to only 256 ram from 128 but all the same my old dell laptop played dvd's well runing only 256mb on a pent 3.
    Guys I'm stuc everything set to DMA dvd in primary and no change any help I will be very grateful for as my fourteen year old daughter is ending me around the bend!!!!!!

7. simon6467

simon6467 Guest

Heads up and admission of stupidity.
    After doing all of the above I remembered that I has changed the display settings about a year ago to get more on the screen. As soon as I set it back to the original, changed the refresh rate to 60mhz on the monitor but left the 32 bit high colour in place and voila no flicker and great sound. Thanks for your help I suggest looking at the diplay settings first and see if that makes any difference before trying anything more radical in the future.

Cheers

SAimon

8. clifton51

clifton51 Member

LOL!...Glad your problems have worked out. It reminds me of something that happenned to me (quite) a few years ago, when fooling around with the display settings on a PII 166 with 32Meg RAM (a lot for those days!), I changed the settings to a resolution that the monitor was incapable of displaying (I had just bought a 'top of the line' video card that had a massive 8Meg of memory!!!) so when the computer restarted there was no display at all making it impossible to change the settings back..until I remembered about 'Safe Mode'...But that was after my 'Panic Mode' had subsided!