1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choppy DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by NeoRio, Mar 3, 2005.

1. NeoRio

NeoRio Member

Hi all. I have a little problem on my hands, and I would like to know if some of you have any idea of what's at the root of it. The problem is that quite a few of the dvds that I've burnt play really choppy and freeze up. These dvds constantly stop, chop up, and freeze at various different points in the movies, and to get them to unfreeze, I either have to hit the play button or go to the main menu and go back to the movie through the scene selection menu, and it's starting to get quite annoying. There's nothing worse than being at a good point in a movie when the disc decides to start chopping up and freezing on you. These dvds also act funny when I fast forward and rewind.

What I believe to be the problem is that I was operating other programs while burning some of my dvds, and maybe that had some kind of interference with the files that were being burnt to the discs, and in addition to operating other programs while buring some of my discs, I had my Secondary IDE Channel's transfer mode set to "PIO Only," as a result my computer setting it to this setting from the regular "DMA" transfer mode after my dvd ripping programs encountered a few errors. The discs that I burnt under these settings are the ones that have the worse case of choppiness and freezing. But anyway, I would appreciate any feedback as to what the problem is or could possilby be. Thank you

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Could be a bunch of thing, but you didn't list anything important so we can figure it out...

What brand/type of media?
    Burner?
    Programs used?
    Do you put lables on your disk?

3. NeoRio

NeoRio Member

Questions
    What brand/type of media?
    Burner?
    Programs used?
    Do you put lables on your disk?

Responses
    Fuji DVD+R and Verbatim DVD+R
    TTSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B (came with my emachines pc)
    DVD Shrink and DVD Decypter
    No, I don't put labels on discs

4. bs0425

bs0425 Member

I am having the same problem. Not on all movies though. I use dvd encrypter then dvd shrink using Nero. My question is, does the option on DVD shrink to get better burn and sharpness really help? It seems to take much longer and I still get skips etc. on my dvd's!! I use Ritek dvd-r 8x, which I guess is good media. I just recently started having this issue. I have used memorex dvd-r media with no problems. But then I discovered the dvd shrink option to get better quality dvd backups at the same time I bought this Ritek media. Could this be it? Would just selecting the movie (reauthoring) help? Thanks in advance.

5. NeoRio

NeoRio Member

I don't know if this will help any, but here are some of my pc's features

3200+ AMD Atholon XP processor
    160 GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    DVD+-RW Drive (8X Double Layer DVDRW)
    512MB(DDR SDRAM)

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Everything looks pretty decent with your specs and media. Well media could be questionable but not likely. So lets review you method for backing up your DVD's. Lets give this a try. Take a look at the first guide on my website (link in my sig) then back up one of your movies using this method and lets see what happens from there?

7. bs0425

bs0425 Member

NeoRio what kind of pc is it? It sounds a lot like mine!

8. NeoRio

NeoRio Member

It's an emachines, bs0425. One of the newer models. I just bought it from best buy not too long ago, and I got a pretty sweet deal on it. I opened up a best buy account, paid for it on my card, and I have 12 months to pay it without interest plus I got about $400 dollars in rebates, so it wasn't too bad of a deal at all.

bbmayo, I'm at work right now, but when I get home I'm gonna check some of your guides out, try using some of your methods of burning, and see what happens. Thanks a lot for your helpfulness.

9. tadouble

tadouble Member

I am having the same problem but NO solution please help...my media ridata 4x and 8x

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  10. gamename

gamename Regular member

i have a very expencive dvd player that does this some of the time.dont know why.but the el-cheapos play it fine.the only one i have that will play dvd+r9 is my sony.which i bought 2 years ago.the expensive one i bought 6mos. ago with proggresive scan will not. go figure?huh.

11. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

I have an emachine with the same drive TS-h552b with the firmware of GA01. Couldn't find anything about this fw so I flashed to TS06. Everything works better now. Just a thought.