1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choppy Picture

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by creaper1, Jan 30, 2007.

1. creaper1

creaper1 Member

I noticed lately that on my backup dvds the picture is choppy at times. I been using ripit4me, dvd decrypter 3.5.4, dvd shrink 3.2 and dvd decrypter to burn. They have been coming out great for months and the last 5 are bad. Every 5 to 10 minutes a scene like freezes but the sound is still good. It has happened on Bandidas, The Protector, and Illustionist to name a few.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. colw

colw Active member

Sounds like a poor quality media issue - what brand are you burning to?

Other possiblities are burning too fast or the use of paper labels on burnt DVD

Verbatim and TY's recommended for consistent burns

3. creaper1

creaper1 Member

I use TDK- 16x and I don't use labels and the fastest I can burn is 8x. What is confusing is it used to work great. The others work fine and now the picture is blurry at times.

Thanks for your help.:)

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi Creaper1,

This could be a number of reasons and colw has mentioned the obvious two (and most likely)

Have you been using the same TDK's all all of your backups and what I mean is are they from the same box? TDK's like most media are made in different factories around the world so if you just happen to have a good box of TDK's one minute does not mean you would get a good one the next time around.

Also you might want to try cleaning your DVR writers lens and keep the speed under x4.

Cheers

5. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Just to add, r those TDKs -R or +R?
    i ask because if u bought them from costco it seemed that the +R coded out different from the -R(TTH02), i did about 300 burns with -Rs and maybe only a couple didn't come out good.

also, I use to get the -R(printable) 100 pack from costco and had no problems(except a few) when burning them at 4x, never tried higher.

6. creaper1

creaper1 Member

I been using the TDK -r from Costco also and I never had any problems before. There is always a first time for everything.

Can anyone recommend a good lens cleaner for the dvd burner?

7. Mez

Mez Active member

You may want to clean your reader or do the movies look choppy if you view them on your computer? I have never cleaned a burner. I clean all my disks before reading them and the blanks are new. The readers often get very dirty disks. They need to be cleaned every now and then. When they are dirty everything skips not just burned disks.