1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choppy video

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by sirbob575, Mar 29, 2005.

1. sirbob575

sirbob575 Guest

does TMPGENC have some specific setting that needs to be applied when converting from Xvid avi to dvd...besides....the high quality(very slow) setting, and all the aspect ratio stuff......cuz the dvd that is created after i convert it is fine up to the parts that have intense changing of camera angles where the scene moves fast and then the video is not smooth and its really chopppy.....if anyone has a solution it would be much appreciated

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

High action scenes require more bitrate than static scenes. What encoding method are you using (2 pass VBR, CBR, CQ_VBR, or...)?
    How long is the video running time, in hours and minutes?
    What bitrate are you using?
    What framerate and aspect ratio is the source?

3. sirbob575

sirbob575 Guest

well i used the xvid to dvd settings which used 2 pass vbr.......but the movie was split into two files one was 1 hr 17 minutes and the other was 1hr 8 minutes......so if different scenes require different settings then how do i find one setting for the whole file.. i kept the aspect ratio the same except i put 3:2 pulldown and 4:3 (NTsc line) and full screen (keep aspect ratio).......those were the settings in the advanced options in TMPGENC.....other than that....i have no idea what to do

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

You only use 3:2 pulldown if the source is 23.976fps.
    If it's 29.97, then encode at 29.97 and don't use pulldown.
    To get the bitrate you need, add the running time of both videos together, then plug that number into the http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm bitrate calcualtor.
    On the advanced screen you should be choosing 1:1 VGA as the source aspect, keep aspect ratio (or kar2).
    On the settings screen, select 720x480 NTSC 4:3

5. sirbob575

sirbob575 Guest

ok so i tried to do that and it calculated the bitrate for a movie that was 1:49:42 (h:m:s) and it gave me 5336......so i changed the bitrate in TMPGENC accordingly.....but the expected file is 129% of the dvd space
    i cant change the expected output because then the bitrate itself will change giving me bad video quality....reebootjim if u no the answer..lemme know

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

In tmpgenc, set the AVERAGE bitrate to whatever the calc said.