1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas Lights

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by isaacs, Jun 14, 2007.

1. isaacs

isaacs Member

Okay, first off, I've been hanging around this site for awhile now. You guys have been a lot of help to me. I bought my xbox used in totally stock condition. Never had a chip in it nor had it ever been modded. Shortly after I got it started doing something weird.
    When you first turn it on, it works perfect. Then after you play it for a while and you go to restart it the LED ring will flash red and green. If you let it sit for a few minutes it will start up perfect again. Everything I've looked out about this error says something about a mod chip either causing or fixing it. It's not that big of a deal so if I have to have a mod chip I probably won't fix it but if it is fixable without one I am extremely interested. Thanks for all your help in advance.

2. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Overheating problems? Maybe the internal is dirty and full of dust or maybe a broken fan in there. And when it reaeds a high temperature it wont turn on after a few minures. Try taking it apart and dust it with compress air.
    O yea and christmas lights could mean anything. like a Hard drive/dvd drive not presented/broken (which isnt your case) to

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  3. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

As vcbc said, try all the simple things first. Make sure everything is clean and plugged in. Look for any damaged components on the motherboard too.

My bet will be that your BIOS bank is dying. There are 'Mods' you can do to circumvent this, but they seldom work. The answer for this situation is a Modchip. The Modchip has it's own BIOS and therefore doesn't care what the original is doing!

4. isaacs

isaacs Member

Okay, thanks guys. I'm at work now, I'll try taking it apart and cleaning everything good. One question though, if the bios bank is dying that doesn't sound like a good thing. That would pretty much require a new box right? Also, I'm pretty sure it's not overheating, though, that is what MS customer service also suggested. I checked the fan and everything is working fine. If you take the cover off of it exposing the dvd-drive and HD and play it it still does it so I'm pretty sure it's not overheating at least. Thanks again for all your help.