1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clarity loss when playing DVD-R on computer

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ralfdog, Aug 16, 2004.

1. ralfdog

ralfdog Guest

I noticed that when I play my finalized -R discs on the computer drive the quality appears fuzzy. However, these same discs play perfectly on TV, with any DVD player. Is this normal?

2. piano632

piano632 Regular member

Difficult to say.

A computer monitor displays video very differently than a TV does, so if it looks fine on a TV I would go by that.

3. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

your monitor has much higher resolution compared to your TV. Thus more flaw will be visible.

4. ralfdog

ralfdog Guest

Thanks for the responses. I thought it was something like that, about the resolution. I was thinking of getting a large LCD TV. Do you think this will have the same result?

5. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

LCD direct View or Rear Projection? I am still not comfortable with the LCDs and Plasmas. They still exhibit visible motion artifact (they don't decay fast enough). And you have to factor in lamp replacement cost if you are talking about LCD or DLP projection TV.

6. ralfdog

ralfdog Guest

I was thinking of the direct view, but maybe I'll hold off for awhile until I know more about it.

7. sdifox

sdifox Regular member

have you looked at the direct views for more than 5 min? These things are not as mature as CRT and there are still limitations. LCOS is better than your everyday LCD and there is a new one coming out called OLED which may prove to be the best of the bunch. We'll see.