1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic 80's cartoons

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by SabreLord, Sep 29, 2003.

1. forkman

forkman Member

So true!

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I find 80s cartoons, to be...erm...well a bit Bland. But maybe that's because it's not my generation, and maybe the next generation would feel the same about our cartoons...

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I think during the late 70's and 80's cartoons reached their pinnacle. They outgrew the silliness of earlier cartoons and really came into their own as far as ideas and humor. The best cartoon of late for me was Ren and Stimpy. The animation and humor were so whacked - I loved it. My neice and nephew are cartoonaholics so I see the new ones but they just don't compare. Sponge Bob can be humorous but it just isn't the same as my heroes like Grape Ape, Captain Caveman and Hong Kong Phooey. Maybe it is an "old-fart" thing.

4. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

I felt the greatest cartoons were those released in the 80's. MASK, Thundercats, Transformers, Centurions and Pole Position.

These were great not in terms of animation but also they had great storylines. The greatest was Transformers The Movie, now that was a turning point, fantastic animation and a lot of big name actors doing the voices.

5. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

What about Victor and Hugo, and Inspector Gadget?? I think they where the greatest cartoons of the 80's. Both shows where very similar, as the lead characters in both shows were complete bumbling idiots. An I really liked it in inspector gadget, when the chief gave gadget his assignment, after reading it, gadget would inadvertently throw the message back at the chief resulting in the message blowing up in his face [bold] BOOOOOOMMM! [/bold].
    Also notable mentions,
    Transformers
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Astro Boy, etc, etc

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

7. herbsman

8. DMW

DMW Regular member

Ahhh, Charley, my childhood guide.........

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

anyone see pipkins? with octavia and pig? hectors house was great!

10. herbsman

Last edited: Feb 25, 2004
  11. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

Just purchased GI JOE DVD box set with 27 complete episodes. Hope they release something similar for Thundercats and M.A.S.K.

12. morna

morna Guest

argh! Can anybody give me any info on an old cartoon called calliope? that came on cartoon express back in the 80's? It was an old man and his dog at the beginning of his show...thats all I remember, I'm not gonna quit posting till I find out what it was :p lol..its driving me crazy...its like it never existed! But I KNOW it did...lol

13. movie_nut

movie_nut Member

How about Godzilla and Godzookie?

14. movie_nut

movie_nut Member

I thought the Simpsons were the best when they were on the Tracy Ulman show. That was the late 80's. I havent started getting the seasons on DVD (yet), can anybody tell me if those old episodes are on the first set?
    D

15. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

I remember Godzilla, that rocked. Everytime the crew got into deep trouble, they would whistle for him or get old godzookie to wake him up.

Same storylines but great entertainment when I was a littleun.

16. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

Morna are you sure the cartoon was called calliope?

Does not ring any bells, the old man and dog intro sequence was that in animation or were they played by actors?

I remember a cartoon in the 80's which was about a dog trying to find his way home or something. Give us more info I too am flumixed by your inquiry.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2004
  17. maniti

maniti Member

Guys how could you forget Tranzor Z about the kid who controlled this big robot and had the other robot where it's boobs shot out as missle or something like that. Also what about Robotech I know you guys where up on that. Dang there's so many!!!

18. herbsman

maniti:
    Never ever heard of either , maybe they didn't make it outside of U.S !!!

19. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

Maniti,

Are you sure Tranzor Z was a kiddies cartoon.

I know the US purchased a lot of Japanese Anime but in UK this was very rare. I remember ITV showed Laputa about 20 years ago.

20. herbsman

LAPUTA (Castle In The Sky) rang a bell as soon as I read it SabreLord so I looked it up & recognized the image I saw too...
    [​IMG]

If only they'd have shown Anime/Manga animation when I was young'un !! : ]-~