1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning DVD Recorder lens - good or bad???

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by NettB77, Apr 17, 2007.

1. NettB77

NettB77 Member

Here's my deal... I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder - Model No. DMR-E100H. I've had it for over two years now. It still works like a dream. It records great and still dubbs great, too.

I noticed about 2 weeks ago when I put a dvd in- a different, louder loading sound- more like a strange chugging noise. I had placed the dvd in just the right spot, too. Mind you I have had it awhile, so I know just where to place the dvd. When I eject it and put the dvd back in, it seems to be alright. It has repeatedly done this strange noise periodically since, and sometimes makes this same noise when I finalize a disc, too.

I have never cleaned my unit's lens and noticed in the manual that it says this should be done once a year with DVD-RAM/PD lens cleaner (LF-K123LCCA1). I thought - okay I'll get that and do that. Well, I researched it on-line and noticed people saying that dvd lens cleaners could actually scratch my lens up and make things worse - so now I am uncertain as to what I should do. I searched the forums here and found mixed results. Any suggestions or advice?

2. david66

david66 Regular member

it sounds like your recorder is in need of service or a new unit

3. damon22

damon22 Member

I own the samw Panasonic DVD recorder, but haven't been using it as long. The recordings are starting to have fractured pixels and gaps. I was thinking of getting the lens cleaner mentioned, and it's not cheap. I was wondering if NettB877 actually bought the lens cleaner and if it cleared up his problem. Thanks

4. NettB77

NettB77 Member

No, I didn't get the disc cleaner. After reading several reviews on it - I found that it was rather risky and might scratch the internal hard drive disc further.

The odd sound I had before has gone away- so I don't currently have any problems with it. I do think cleaning it is important, however... I just haven't figured out a full-proof way of doing it. Any suggestions???

5. damon22

damon22 Member

I decided to buy the lens cleaner, and had a hard time locating it. One store that claimed to have it then said they could get it in two weeks; the strange part is that the store has two names, chicago digital and ourstore.com, and it was under two prices. They said they were going to charge me the higher price, $66.23 including shipping. In the meantime, I wrote to Panasonic, and I ended up ordering one from them (It was also backordered so I won't see it for two weeks or more.) Here is what they wrote (It cost $4.95 to ship):
    The part number for the DVD Lens Cleaner is RP-CL720 (replaces LF-K123LCA1), which is currently on back order with the factory for 2-4 weeks. The pricing is $19.04. There is also a $5.95 shipping/handling fee within the U S, as well as your local taxes, attached to this order. Orders placed on our website at www.pasc.panasonic.com may offer up to 20% off of freight handling.

You may also call (800) 833-9626 to order, however, the freight handling discount will not be available.

Thank you for your inquiry,
    Linda
    National Parts Center
    npcparts@us.panasonic.com