1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cleaning

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by cfl777, Sep 1, 2004.

1. cfl777

cfl777 Member

whats the best way to fully clean a dvd disc without buying something right at the moment?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I imagine some 99% Isopropyl and a soft cloth would do :)

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

An anti static foam cleaner works well.

But if you are stuck and only have bits and bobs around the home, then a VERY VERY SMALL DAB of washing up liquid (smaller than a fingertip size) on the back of a lint free cloth.

Then clean in a rotation motion creating little circles as you go around the disc (DO NOT GET LIQUID BETWEEN THE SUBSTRATE AND THE TRANSPARENT PLATTER) IE DO NOT WIPE THE EDGE............

4. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Does it matter if it's still blank or not? I have a blank that has some "gunk" but I'm afraid of not being able to use it if I clean it wrong.

5. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

Iv found the sun glass bags that come with quality glasses (oakleys etc) are tops. Also avoid going round in circles as that is the way the laser tracks, or something like that. Wipe from the inside straight out to the edge

6. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

The pump spray liquid sold to clean eyeglsses or the moistened wipes in packets will clean disk safely. Then wipe dry with very soft fabric cloth e.g shoeshine buffing cloth that many hotels give away as a room amenity.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Just discovered another one AND WORKS WELL.

The little wet wipes you use for wiping babies arses when they have shit themselves...........

BTW:Use them BEFORE you have used them on the babies............it may leave a slight residue but a lint free cloth will remove it...........
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[​IMG] [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Only you baabaa......... :p

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Is that what I've been doing wrong?

10. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well, thought I would look into utilising things you may find just lying around the house.

And also a little background to the reasoning:
    That way you can nip out, tell the missus you're going for some baby wipes (she'll go all soft and gooey, and thank you for being soooo considerate), nip to the pub and have a few jars, pop into your nearest fast food outlet and pick up some wipes(oh, don't forget to order some fries aswell, after a few jars you always feel a little hungry).

Pop back, the missus will be happy to see you, clean a disc, set the PC off, and the missus will be ready for you then..................

Have fun........................Great evening all round:

Missus happy
    Dvd cleaned
    Dvd Backed up
    Your happy and in her good books
    Sod the baby

BTW:This will only work IF you have a baby, very difficult to pull off if you haven't..............