1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clearing Harddrive/Reformatting

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bikekid8, Feb 21, 2005.

1. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

i have a western digital 80gb internal harddrive and i was wondering what the best way to reformat it is, im running windows xp and its the only harddrive i have, it came with this "datalife guards" program but i cant get it to work very good, i have normally bought maxtor's and they come with a disk and it reformatts no problem, any suggestions?? thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try downloading the program from western digital just in case original was corrupted

3. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

thats not the problem, the problem is i dont think that it supports reformatting

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

create a windows startup disk or use your windows xp cd and make sure that your PC is setup to look at your CD drive first, then use the format command to do c: drive.

5. ddp

goto http://www.bootdisk.com/ & download the xp bootdisk to see if solves problem. what format are you using, fat32 or ntfs??

6. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

the original that i wanted to reformat was a nfts

i just added another one which is a 8.4gb maxtor, and was able to reformat that using powermax 3

i want to install windows on the 8.4 and use the 80gb drive just to store files, when i cleared the drive and tryed installing xp, all it did was extract the installation files, and then it tells me it must reboot, and then it goes right back to the way it was. i have it set up in the bios to boot up from the cdrom, and when i try booting up from the 8.4, it says os error, how do i pull this off?

7. ddp

is the wd jumpered as slave on the primary cable to the maxtor that is jumpered as master on the primary cable??

8. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

i agree with DDP, that wouldve been my next question! as a lot of people forget about that little piece of plastic....but that piece is significant to the process..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2005
  9. bikekid8

bikekid8 Regular member

thanks for all of the help, i figured it out

just to let you know anyways, i had the ide's all messed up i think, now im running the two harddrives on ide 1 master and slave and the two dvd-rw's on ide 2 master and slave. thanks for the help!