1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clicking inside Tower

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ebe, Feb 9, 2007.

1. ebe

ebe Member

Can anyone out there help me?
    Ive been using Shrink/Fab/Decrypter/Clone for a couple of years without any problems.
    This last week, whilst using Fab etc, I hear a couple of clinks inside the tower whilst it is decrypting to the drive.
    It might only do this once in the half hour or so whilst it is writing to the drive.
    When I get Shrink to read and compress the VOB files I repeatedly get an 'Error reading Data' report.
    I know that clinking usually signifies that your hard drive is ready to die...But this clinking ONLY ever sounds when I am trying to rip a disc.
    Help please....Cheers.

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

your drive is not dying, it's having a hard time reading your disk! The clicking sound is the drive trying to read the disk, over and over again, in the area that is causing a problem! don't get scared or think that it's dying!

first check the disk for any smudges, finger prints, lint, dirt, etc....... clean the disk..... if you never cleaned a DVD or CD disk before then here's what you do. You can use windex, light sudsy water or something that won't streak but cleans and won't fog or melt or hurt the disk.... you don't use alot ....... lightly apply with a lint free, soft cloth that won't scratch the surface of the DVD. Do not rub in round circles! You will ruin your disk! you take the cloth and rub from the inner circle to the outer edge in a straight line! and move on to the next closest area and go from the inner circle to the outer edge in a straight line again.... till you cleaned the full DVD! NOT IN CIRCULAR MOTION! Inner to outer in a straight line. After making sure that the disk is dry completely.. try it again. See if your drive can read the disk properly without those clicking sounds. And if I were you ...... I would switch programs to RipIt4Me.... it's free..... uses Shrink and you can use Clone or ImgBurn or Nero to burn! Here is a guide to help you out: http://my.afterdawn.com/alkohol/blog_entry.cfm/1417

now if the disk can't be read properly and you get errors with shrink or other programs trying to read the files.... then I would get another copy of the DVD and try again. sometimes, even a new DVD can have a bad press and needs to be replaced! good luck.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  3. ebe

ebe Member

Thanks for the reply.
    The clicking sound is not the DVD/CD drive. I recon it may be the hard drive.
    FAB/Decrpter/Clone all say that the DVD has been read successfully although I will have heard a very short click inside the tower. Probably only once or twice.
    The problem happens when I start Shrink..
    It may get anywhere e.g. 5% or 85% before I get the error message 'Failed to read data'
    The click may only happen once or twice during the half hour decryption process.
    I am NOT hearing this at ANY other time, except when I begin a DVD back-up.
    The computer is running very smoothly apart from this.
    Thanks.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

why is it taking 30 mins or so to rip a DVD? It should only take about 12-15mins only using DVDDecrypter.

Try using RipIt4Me...... it incorporates DVDDecrypter (or DVDFAb Decrypter) to rip, FixVTS to take out encryptions that will give error messages to Shrink, and Shrink to transcode to fit onto a DVD5. Download the programs and follow this guide:
    http://my.afterdawn.com/alkohol/blog_entry.cfm/1417
    good luck.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What are your computer specs and how old?

Processor?
    Memory?
    Hard Drive?
    Motherboard?
    Video Card?
    Etc...

Or what is the brand and model?

6. ebe

ebe Member

My machine is about 5 years old, but as I have said, this is a problem that has only started in the last couple of weeks.
    I have been burning sucessfully for the last couple of years.
    My Machine is a Tiny 1.8ghz, Pentium 4, 512 memory, internal DVD-CDRW, 80 gb hard drive, not sure of motherboard.
    I run an external Freecom DVDRW drive.
    I experience the clicking effect (which only lasts for a split second) when I use either the external DVDRW or the internal DVD-CDRW drive.
    All the software says that the decryption has been successful.
    The error report occurs when Shrink tries to read the data.
    Its been taking half hour because ive been trying to back up some long movies recently. Im aware that it usually only takes about 15 mins to read.
    Any help off anyone would be most welcome.
    Thanks.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Wow 5 years old! :)

There could be a lot of issues going on here, but it just might be your hard drive as you have suspected. I have even seen older processors make this clicking sound and that isn't good either.

Is this only happening with one movie or is it happening with any movie you try?

8. ebe

ebe Member

Hello.
    It's happening with every movie I try.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I suspect this is probably your hard drive. Try doing a defrag on your hard drive and see if that helps.

10. ebe

ebe Member

Done the Defrag already.

Actually, my computer crashed big time last night.
    Decided to do Factory reset.
    Loaded everything from fresh.
    The problem has now gone away.
    I think my problem must have been virus related, doing strange things to my hard drive.
    Thanks for peoples suggestions though.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well I am glad you got it worked out, and hopefully the clicking stays away :)

Cheers