1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clips from commercial dvds

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by tb75, Apr 23, 2005.

1. tb75

tb75 Member

I need help taking small clips from commercial dvds and inserting them into a PPT presentation. I've used "DVD to VCD AVI DivX Converter" which worked perfectly - once. Now I can't make it work. Error messages. Product support is nonexistent. Is there a fool proof way to do what I want?

2. ktf50box

ktf50box Guest

What video formats does PPT accept?

3. tb75

tb75 Member

mpeg and maybe others, but mpeg works.

4. ktf50box

ktf50box Guest

So how about cut clip from DVD with DVD Shrink then change .vob extension to .mpg.
    Job done innit?

Tom.

5. tb75

tb75 Member

You mean just replace .vob with .mpg? Do it with "rename" in the file menu? Movie Maker doesn't like that.

6. ktf50box

ktf50box Guest

Yeh you`re right, just tried it & it sees it as an audio file :-/
    Do you not have Nero Vision Express or something? works in that.
    Why do you need it in an editor anyway?

7. tb75

tb75 Member

I'm trying to get just one scene of a few commercial movies to use as segways in a PowerPoint lecture I'm making. Say 30 sec to one minute. Currently I'm trying to snag the "you can't handle the truth" Jack Nicholson scene from "A Few Good Men". Anyways, I bought this product, Magic DVD Ripper which worked like a charm on one older dvd, but has given me nothing but problems thereafter. So, here I am.

8. ktf50box

ktf50box Guest

Is it the copy protection stopping you?
    Thanks to advice from this site I`ve been able to cut subplots from films scene by scene % stitch them together.
    I use DVD Shrink to cut the scenes. Just get it it`s free.
    Then an editor that takes VOB`s if you want to mess with the clips & save in a different format. I use Nero Vision Express. Get the trial version & use it free for 30 days.
    Try it mate, it must be easy if I can do it ;-)