1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CLK Messiah 2 connection and black screen

Discussion in 'PS2' started by marvin378, Jun 4, 2003.

1. marvin378

marvin378 Member

I have had a pretty good bit of soldering experience and took it upon myself to install my Messiah 2 chip in my version 7 PS2. Much to my dismay when it came to the CLK connection, it came off the board. Oh if only I had noticed the the alternate connection would have been easier. Naturally I assumed the entire thing was shot, but decided to continue with the rest of the wires for the experience. I soldered that little piece back on, finished the install, put everything back together and hit the power button. I was overjoyed to see the little red light come on. I then hit the reset button, heard the right noises, and saw the signal go to the TV. It was black though, which in normal circumstances would be the bios connections from what I have read. Is there still hope? What function does the little piece at the CLK connection serve? In looking at the bios as the point of error, should I look only at the pins or the nearby pads as well? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

2. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

The clock would be your problem too in this case. If you follow the trace where you lifted the pad it will lead you to a pin on one of the large bga chips. Solder to that pin like you did the bios and that can serve as your clock point. Just check for bridges on the bios.

3. marvin378

marvin378 Member

So there is still hope? I'm getting excited. I looked at the CLK connection and tried to follow it, but didn't see what you were talking about. Were you talking about the original CLK connection or the alt CLK connection. I can follow that trail. I will aslo check the bios as well. I'm sure it is just a minor bridge. Thanks for being of so much help to me.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2003
  4. ps2hopie

ps2hopie Member

the original CLK point if you have a litle pieces came off . that mean your suface mount
    part right there it bad YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THAT PART BEFORE TO CONT. SOLDER as i know
    if i am not wrong it a resistor or the cap. there.let me know if you can't read them

Last edited: Jun 7, 2003
  5. marvin378

marvin378 Member

It was only a single little piece, and I can't read what it says at this moment.

6. marvin378

marvin378 Member

Is this one of those things that I could get somebody to fix fairly cheaply? I am a little frustrated. I will get back about the multimeter readings as soon as I figure out how to use the blasted thing.