1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clone DVD Stubborn andTough as Nails

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by DennisLo, Mar 15, 2004.

1. DennisLo

DennisLo Guest

Generally speaking I always backup my movies in the same exact way, I use DVDDecrypt and then use DVDShrink to compress. Finally, I burn them in Nero.
    Every once in a while there is a movie that just refuses to read a volume or some other area of a DVD Disk. Minor scratches are even sometimes a problem on a DVD I believe because there is so much more density of data packed in the same physical area as a standard CD. This is pure speculation on my part but I can have a really scrateched up CD and have no problems.
    I have two DVD burners, a LiteOn 811S and a LG4020B. I also have a DVD reader only which is a Toshiba SDM-1102 I believe. In any case the Toshiba always is the best when reading scratched DVD's but there is always a rare case where you get one that you just can't get through without a read error in DVD Decrypt or DVDShrink. Such was the case the other day so I decided to try CloneDVD. To my surprise CloneDVD went through the volume that refused to read without errors meticulously slow like a turtle but made it through to the end and the backup works just fine. I did get a popup when I went to burn saying there may be an error and do you still want to burn which I did and everything was just fine. I am not a fan of CloneDVD because of its restrictions but I have to give it credit for being tough as nails and the stuborness of the program to make it through DVD's that DVDDecrypt couldn't read. I have always thought DVDDecrypt was the best Decrypter there was. Sometimes you can slow read speed down in DVDDecrypt but in this case it still wouldn't read that bad volume, or what it perceived as a bad read.

2. pa104inf

pa104inf Regular member

I like CLONEDVD because of it ease of use. You select what you want to do and where the VIDEO files are and away you go. I also own NERO ULTRA for those more complicated things that need to be done as well as DVD X COPY PLATINUM.