1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clone problem

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by durkinjt, Sep 3, 2016.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

I just bought a 1T HD to install on my Dell E6510 i7 8 G laptop, I wanted to clone from the original drive, I used both Aconis and Aoemi, using a dvd power supply and dvd attachment, the new disk is recognized by the computer, but not in the clone programs? Any help appreciated.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

does your computer boot from the new drive?little confusing here.which clone program did you end up using?

3. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks, I'm trying to clone it from from an internal hdd, to a hdd connected thru usb, neither program worked

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

New hdd's require initialization before any program can see it.Do it under disk management,by right clicking in left most column where it says (usually there's a message asking to initialize disk)
    disk 0
    disk 1 etc

create either a basic disc or it maybe called mbr something or rather.There's only 2 options you want whatever has basic or mbr in it,avoid dynamic

5. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks, there is no option to initialize drive after right clicking in driver management.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you goto "disk management" in "computer management" thru "administrative tools" in "control panel"?

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

What ddp said then assign drive letter,once its quick formatted & has drive letter your next step is cloning.

use acronis to clone or whatever program you use to clone most often & dump the rest.

If you set it up correctly the cloning process should require a restart & you will get taken to the clone DOS screen on restart,everything then should be automatic till cloning finished.

A clone is useless if it is not tested,you need to switch drives around & run the new clone to make sure it works.Other option is create images of C instead.They take up far less space & are quicker to deploy.personally i hold no data on c other than the OS & installed programs.Data like movies,photo,music etc is held in extended partitions & external hdd,doing it this way makes cloning redundant & makes better use of space

8. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks for all the help, followed the advice and all is well.