1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloned Movie DVDs 'Expired' .

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mannerizt, Apr 20, 2005.

1. mannerizt

mannerizt Member

hey guys, i'm encountering an extremely frustrating problem. i hope someone had the same problem and found the answer.

software: dvd shrink 3.2
    hardware: nec nd-3520a (all-region patched)
    maxell dvd+r

in short, the movies that i cloned 'expired'.

they worked right after the burn, worked the next day after the burn, but somehow, mysteriously, they failed after a week or so.

here's the failure, the movies would run fine for a while before the dvds started to skip, and pictures became pixelated. eventually, the dvd player just froze (both tv and computer compatible).

my initial speculations were:
    - the activation of my screensaver
    - using the computer during the burning process
    - the writing speed (x8)

i changed all the above assumptions in my 2nd try of cloning:
    - de-avtivated my screensaver
    - not using the computer while writing
    - reduced speed (x4)

the movies still fail. 20+ dvds wasted.

as of now, i'm absolutely cluesless. though ridiculous, i start to suspect it's the cd labels. i plan to get a lite-on burner to start my 3rd trial and thought i'll seek help from you guys out there as well.

thanks.

2. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

Labels will difinetly make the dvds off balance making them hard to read and hard on your reader. Use a sharpie. Many of us have made this error. Luck be with you

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

johnny's right, it's probably the labels. But if that doesn't fix your problem, try different media altogether. Maybe some -R format (if your burner burns these). Or most burning software has the option to booktype +R's as DVD-ROM, which increases compatibility with players.

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

whats the media ID code of the disks you're using?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  5. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Forget the goofy label fix (not the problem). It seems as though you should burn your media at a slower speed such as 4x. I used the Maxell media at 8x and no luck with this speed then changed to 4x and all worked fine. It is a mix of both media and software with the software being the primary culprit. I swithced from using DVD Shrink and Nero Recode to DVDFab Platinum with DVDIdle Pro working in the background and I can now burn the Maxell discs at 8x with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I have Nero Ultra 6.6 installed but will not burn with this program since Nero has undergone extensive patches in the last 4 months or so. It seems the folks at Nero have produced an outstanding product to burn CD-R's but as for DVD's, they are still lacking a lot. Take for instance I burned an ISO image with Nero Express and then again with Nero FULL and both resulted in a good burn but the verification of the burns also stated they were perfect but in reality when I used their utility to scan the files on the DVD's I got errors all over. Their latest patch was to have fixed this problem but still no go. It seems as if Nero cannot burn the track at the correct position at higher speeds. If you use Nero to burn the Maxells I would go down to 4x. If you want a perfect burn then try DVDFab Platinum using the VSO burn engine.

6. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

most ppl here only burn at 4x anyway.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would suspect media (or labels) since they played ok for the first few days. Once again, what is the media brand and media ID? Use this free utility to determine ID. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

After rereadng I see you are useing Maxell which should be top quality media. Try removing the labels or copying to new blank w/o label. Keep burn speeds to 4x or under at least untill problem is resolved.

8. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

When I buy Taiyo Yuden I might try 4x or event 8x (For testing) but I burn all my stuff at 2x and all my results are 100%.

Those 16x are currently just a good sales pitch for the salesmen :)

9. mannerizt

mannerizt Member

thanks for all the inputs guys.

a few of you mentioned the media type. i don't know the media id code, but i'll download the program mort81 provided after work and find out. what i do know is that they are made by maxell and support up to 8x burning speed.

i did reduced the burning speed from the initial 8x to the later 4x. the dvds(movies) actually played perfectly at both speed (8x & 4x) RIGHT after burning, and i also waited for another day or 2 before testing them AGAIN. the freaky part is that they screwed up after about week or so.

the labels come to my attention because i applied them to the dvds AFTER the dvds were tested. what's puzzling me is that IF the labels are indeed the root to the problem, why am i able to play the dvds smoothly and normally without skips and freezing frames for up to about 60 minutes before the dvds start to screw up and eventually crash my dvd players? weird? no? the labeled dvds run fine for an hour, and start to skip.

it's kind of hard to imagine the labels are the cause, but that's what i'm currently experimenting. also, i've just got a lite-on burner to replace my nec one temporarily. despite the trust i've in nec, i'm starting to doubt it's burning stability.

more feedbacks are welcome.

thanks again guys.

10. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

It's the labels. Labels MAY cause an imbalance in weight, so the DVDs start wobbling due to the speeds they are spinning (centrifugal force). The wobbling would be most noticable towards the outer edges of the DVD which also happens to be the end of the movie. Try watching an unlabelled movie a week after you burn and see if you have the same problem.

11. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

I agree with DogBomb, that it is most likely the labels. There are reports of similar problems with the use of labels on other boards. Labels also tend to change with time and can slightly warp the DVD. Since the problem coincides with a later movie time(>60 min.) and outer edge instabilities where reading is much more critical. A little wobble will cause the reader to entirely miss critical data and thus fail.

Maybe remove the labels and test them again?

12. mfmtonyv

mfmtonyv Guest

I did have exactly the same problem!!! I went nuts! I even bought a new DVD player. I was about to throw my PC out of the window. Finally I figured it out! It was the labels AND the media I was using. I switched from Ritek to Philips and TDK. Then I switched to a more expensive and of course better quality labels AND...I decided to wait a couple of days after I print the labels before I get to put them on the disk.(Yes you guess right...the ink while is getting dry causes the label (kind of) shrink and that could effect the form of the disk if the label was stuck on it before it was completely dry). Problem's 100% fixed. Ooh..watch the speed too.You better stay slow, at 4X. The slower you burn the better compatibility and the less errors you get.

13. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

Ive had this sort of problem too and it all comes down to labels on discs. blank DVD's are just too fragile to have a label stuck on them, unless you've got a film in Xvid or VCD format that doesnt take up much disk space. you put a label on a full burn retail backup & unless its on a top quality blank and it will play up... TY's and Verbatim discs seem to be the rule of thumb for least problems here on aD...

14. vike

vike Member

LABELS SUCK BIG TIME. Use a sharpie, or if you want a pretty cover, go with printable discs. If you want to be certain its the labels, burn one w/out the label and see if it continues to play. Also, switch media. I've never used Maxells, but I've had excellent luck with Taiyo Yuden and TDK (media ID ttg02).

15. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

@Vike
    Whats a sharpie?

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

felt tip marker, ink pen

17. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

oh right, got ya. thanks mort. Ive got plenty sharpies then. good good!

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

u r welcome

19. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

I believe Sharpies are "permanent markers" and thus are less prone to smudging and are more moiture resistant.

20. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

DVD's spin at higher speeds then CD's.

The faster the speed, the worse it gets for being unbalanced with applied labels so my guess is the labels...

On a different note, when testing my media burns at 4x, 8x, and 16x by using Nero Disk Quality Tests, all three had a quality score of 97-98 but the actual lowest PI errors was at 8x burn. All three also had "0" errors with the Nero ScanDisc test and also DVDInfoPro scandisk tests.

Burn speeds also relate to your equipment and media so each of us can get different results with different burn speeds.