1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloned SSD has very large recovery partition

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hmenzel, Jun 22, 2015.

1. hmenzel

hmenzel Newbie

I installed a 256G ssd drive and cloned the originasl hard drive to it. Then I changed the cabling to make it the C drive. The problem I would like to correct is the size of the recovery partition. The original 1000G drive had a 4 G recovery partition. There was about 30G of data on it. Now the SSD drive hase the 30G but only 141G free because the recovery partition is 97G.
    Is there a safe way to correct this? I do not have Win7 disks to do a reinstall. I am in a good position now to redo the cloning process if it would help. I used the free version of EaseUS to do the cloning.
    Thanks

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

There's maybe 3 options,assuming the recovery partition is at the front of the drive.Before proceeding you'd need to know how to edit the boot.ini (or at least view it).You'd need to do this because C is on the 2nd partition & the boot ini will point to partition 2,this needs to be changed after doing the install to partition 1

1-My least preferred method..delete recovery partition & move C into the free space
    2-partition clone..clone C to the new drive
    3-image restore..Not sure if easeus can do this,would most likely require differential hardware recovery.I know ghost can however that was with xp & win 7 has that hidden boot crap in the front partition

4-Not supposed to talk piracy however you do have what you need but just can't do whats required..download a win 7 iso & use daz loader,then download updates & sign up for win 10..lol.. i did

If you need specialized help go here,it's a forum dedicated to all things cloning.There are other free cloning products available that have full functionality or use torrent
    http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1223945072

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

naughty, naughty.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

*cough* i meant "borrow" a copy of win 7 iso :D

edit:if your pc is oem & had win 7 pre installed,check to see if they have a tool to do what you want.If the recovery partition is after C then just delete it & expand C