1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CloneDVD 2

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kyrainman, Oct 16, 2004.

1. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

I have read alot on the forum about splitting a DVD with DVD Shrink, but I believe there is a better way. I use CloneDVD 2 because it will retain the menu's and special features where DVD Shrink's "Recode" won't. It's really very simple to do if you follow the instructions carefully. You can get a perfect uncompressed copy of a long movie including the special features. And best of all all the menues are preserved. :)

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i think you will find that clonedvd ver2 uses compression to achieve what you are suggesting because theys no way you can get a complete dual layered disc on to a single layered one with out compression.

But you can transfer dual layer to dual layer which clone dvd ver2 does support

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

kyrainman is talking about using no compression and splitting the dvd.

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hey flip why split it

5. flip218

Some people don't want to compress ... they think they are loosing picture quality. And dual layer discs right now are too expensive.

So to backup a dvd w/ no compression is either $1 (Using 2 Ritek's) or $10 (using 1 dual layer disc).

I always do the whole dvd (don't know why, just habit), and the main movie looks great and the extras look .... well not as good (but I never watch em).

6. flip218

I really need to just start doing movie only.

7. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

Yes. The Moderator is correct. I am splitting the movie onto two DVD's with CloneDVD2. For example, "The Green Mile" is 3hrs. 9min's long. The special features are approximately another 12mins. Compressing it to one DVD will result in a DVD with about 50% or less quality. But if you split it to two DVD's, each DVD is 100% quality. I only do this with movies that I really like and are 3+ hours long. I have found that in most cases a movie compressed to 60% or less is perfectly fine when copied to one disc. A couple of other movies that would warrent this procedure are "Lawrence of Arabia" (3'47" long) and "Ben Hur" (3'22" long) + special features. Hope this clears things up.

I do deviate from Elby's instructions on how to do this in one step. What I do is put the 1st. part of the movie and the Special Features on disc 1. Then on disc 2 I put the remainder on the movie. For disc 2 I uncheck "Preserve Menu's" Elby's instructions don't say to do this for disc 2(Maybe it's implied). This way disc two will start immediately when inserted. If you don't uncheck "Preserve menus" you'll have the menus on both disc's. This is undesirable. Remember, you'll have to have something like "AnyDVD" to copy a pressed DVD.

From Elby's web site manual:

Splitting: If you want to copy the whole DVD or you want to copy a movie with extra length, it is advisable to split it over two DVD media. First of all you have to select “preserve menus” for keeping the overview. Via the “chapter cutting” function you can split the main movie in two parts while selecting for example the chapters 1-9 for the first DVD media. Select now further titles like “Special Features” and start the copying process for the first DVD media. When the copying process has finished, please click on the “Back” button until you reach the window with the title selection. Click with the right mouse button into the title selection dialogue: You can invert your selection for the first DVD media, like in this example, it means that the chapters 10-16 of the main movie and the rest of the titles will be automatically selected. [bold]Don't forget to uncheck "Preserve menus"[/bold]

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thanks guys for the info i must of mised that when i started using this program but i have found that with the movies i want to keep its better to have the originals.After saying that i only collect anime.Heres a little list

Rurouni Kenshin wandering samurai
    Arjuna
    escaflowne the series
    escaflowne the movie
    Licenced by royalty *
    The 12 Kingdoms *
    please teacher
    berserk
    GTO
    witch hunter robin*
    Hellsing
    Noir
    final fantasy*
    dangermouse*
    Vandread series 1 & 2
    biohunter
    reign of the conqueror
    hack sign series 1
    hack sign legend of the twilight*
    golgo 13 queen bee
    R.O.D.*
    Iria
    S-cry-ed
    ninja scroll the series
    geneshaft
    Rahxephon
    zoids
    ghost in the shell
    AKIRA
    Ninja scroll the movie
    kiddy grade*
    last exile*
    gravion*
    wolfs rain*

andmerr

9. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

I also solely use Elby's CloneDVD2 for burning DVD's.
    Thus far I have just burned the main movie when splitting to 2 disks, and junked the extras & menus.

Thanks, kyrainman, for the "heads up" on unchecking "Preserve Menus" on disk 2. I probably would have missed that, should I retain menus, etc. in the future.

10. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

If you un-check preserve menus, how can you choose the special features to watch?

11. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

I find it hard to understand why so many posters have a compulsion to have the movie on one disk. It can't be that you good people are that lazy about changing a disk in the player; getting a dvd changer would solve that issue anyway.

Some claim they can't tell a difference between a compressed dvd and a dvd burned without compression. I CAN see a viewing dif at regular 480 lines per inch when playing on a player/monitor that only supports 480 lines per inch "interlaced" mode. But if you can't...OK...no eyesight jokes from me! But collect a movie you recorded with both methods, then find yourself a friend who has a TV and a DVD player that supports "Progessive Scan or '-P' " mode (ie the player and monitor are not interlacing the image) and an HD TV to play it on. At "480P" (non-interlaced) lines per inch, I guarantee you will see a dif between compressed and not. Products coming very soon will support 720P and 1024P modes. What happens to your backup library when you upgrade to the new equiptment in the future. You'll have a bunch of lower quality movie backups. No dis intended here.

Best regards,
    Whisperer

Win2000Pro, SP4.
    Supermicro P6DBE MB, latest Ami Bios, 440 BX Chipset.
    Twin PIII @ 800MHz each.
    1 Gig RAM.
    IDE1: 0: HDD: IBM 60GB (Master)(ultra-DMA)(OS + software listed below).
    IDE1: 1: LiteOn 16X DVD ROM (Slave)(ultra-DMA).
    IDE2: 0: Pioneer A05 (-R) Writer (Master)(ultra-DMA).
    IDE2: 1: HDD: IBM 60GB (Slave)(ultra-DMA)(Pagefile only).
    ----------------------------------------------------
    DXC v1.5.2 (No friggin' Express or Platinum).
    CloneDVD2 v.2.4.5.4 (latest).
    AnyDVD v.4.0.4.1 (latest).
    Power DVD Player v.4.0.
    Dedicated backup box: ie no other software loaded.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    JVC XV-FA900BK Progressive Scan 7-Disk Changer (-R).
    JVC XV-SA600BK Progressive Scan Player (-R).
    Sampo DVE-611 Player (-R/-RW).
    Radius "low priced" -R Media (4X).

12. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

It seems you entirely missed the point of this post, Whisperer.

The discussion is about splitting a single DL or DS DVD onto 2 SL disks, so as NOT to compress. Thus we DO have to get up off our "comfy chair" & change disks, we don't mind. (OK, I don't mind, can't speak for other couch taters).

Secondly, if you carefully read kyrainman's post with the instructions from Elby's website manual, you only uncheck "Preserve Menus" on burning the 2nd disk when splitting to 2 disks. You retain the "Preserve Menus" when burning your 1st of 2 disks. This was informative to me, since I was unaware of this.

I hope this clarifies things. Also, no dis intended. The aim of this site is to inform as best as possible. Yet, we are human, prone to error.

13. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

I was responding to andmerr's question of "why split it?" and supporting the opinions on this thread that splitting is a good thing.

best regards,
    Whisperer

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004