1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CloneDVD - DVDShrink : Who's the best

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ZERS, Nov 24, 2003.

1. ZERS

ZERS Member

Hi everybody !

first of all, I'd like to point out that I'm French so I do apologize for my English !!

I tried to clone Lord Of The Ring - Two towers, using DVDDecrypter et CloneDVD.

I watched the movie on my VideoProjector and It seems that the compression has decreased the image. For example, backgrounds are quite awfull !

What is the best compression soft in order to keep a good image ?

Is It possible to split the DVD into Two DVDs, e.g. burn the 2 first hours onto one DVD and the remains onto another DVD ?

Thanks a lot !

Last edited: Nov 24, 2003
  2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Zers, The more you compress a backup of a movie, the more the quality of the backup suffers. That is why most people only backup the movie part of a long disc. You can use clone dvd or dvdshrink to remove all the extra items (menus, trailers,extra audio tracks) which will help make the movie portion better. If you want to keep everything on the disc, then you will have to use 2 discs. I never wanted to do that so check the guides for whatever copy program you are using for directions. Jerry

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

ZERS,

Have you checked the brightness/contrast/color balance of your projector? Poorly adjusted display may "push" the encoding errors visible.

But yes, quality does suffer, especially when compressing a movie this long.

Check this: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/57229

4. ZERS

ZERS Member

thanks a lot guys !
    Does anyone can tell me how to burn a DVD onto two disks ? Is CloneDVD cumfortable with that ?

5. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

you can do this with the reauthor feature of shrink. just leave it uncompressed and have the first half on disc one. Remember the break point and put the second half on the second disc.

6. ZERS

ZERS Member

OK thanks. I'll try it tonight (this afternoon for you)....

Cheers

7. LeeFields

LeeFields Guest

Yeh I use Shrink as well. DVD-X-copy does the same job more simply but is in no way as controlable as shrink, i.e stripping the unwanted audio, menu and subtitle tracks away.
    The trick for good quality back-up is not to go over 10-15% compression otherwise you start to loose the whole piont of having it on DVD.
    Follow the guides posted on this site for shink to get the film striped to the bone and then check what level you would need to compress it to to fit. If it is still to much, you can go for a split by selecting the start/finish icon (dont have it running in front of me, so sorry if I am wrong). This will allow you to spit the film in two, right down to the frame you would like to split at. So all you need to do is backup into two folders labled disk 1 and disk 2 and burn them as separate jobs.

Hope this helps, I have had no problems with Shrink at all, very good program for free!

8. reydav

reydav Guest

Shrink is the better, but clone has a burining engine, if shrink could burn images I would uninstall clone. I use them together Shrink to build the movie file and clone to burn the image.

9. ZERS

ZERS Member

Hi !

this we last , I tried DVDShrink using both reauthor & "start/end" functions and it worked fine !!! I succedeed in burning LOTR 2 Towers onto 2 DVDs without any compression and the image is amazing !!!

I was wondering if it is still useful to use DVDDecrypt prior to DVDShrink. It was told me that DVDShrink is able to "crack" DVDs as well ! Is it wrong ?

Cheers

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  10. LeeFields

LeeFields Guest

Decrypter is usefull if you have a movie which is under 4.35gb, or you have a film that will not rip using Shrink (very, Very rare), I know this is the case if you have previously backed up a movie in a certain program with 'X' in the title. Other than that, shrink is pretty OK for everything.