1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CloneDVD help/question

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by movie_777, Jan 6, 2004.

1. movie_777

movie_777 Member

I have a question for those experienced in using cloneDVD.

When using cloneDVD along with AnyDVD everything comes out ok except my movie quality is horrible. I know that cloneDVD chooses the level of compression on its own but what I noticed is that it does not use all the available space on the disc.

For example, when I tried to back up my copy of Goldmember, I deleted a bunch of the extras and the compression bar was up to 77% or so. I proceeded with the process and when it finished I looked at the default folder and noticed the size of the folder was 4.30GB. There are about 50MB that cloneDVD did not use. I have used DVD Shrink and also DVD2One and once the process is complete the output folder for these programs is around 4.35GB.

Does anyone know why this is happening? With other movies I have had worst results. For example, I had another movie for which the output folder was only 3.95GB. That's quite a chunk of space that could have been used to better the movie quality.

Thanks for your help.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi movie_777, The maximum amount of space on a blank dvd is about 4.38 gig. Forget what the box says or the top of the dvd (4.7gig). Its mis-leading. Clone did right at 4.3gig. You have to keep total files below 4.4gig to fit the blank media. Doesn't matter what program you use to do it. Some movies originals are over 7 gig to start, some are 4 gig or less. Clone usually makes it fit as best as possible. If the playback is good, don't worry about the space issue.
    Jerry

Last edited: Jan 7, 2004
  3. john179

john179 Active member

I use smartripper and clone dvd and get really good quality back up's of my movies.If you use these to you can't go wrong rip all the files to your hard drive with smartripper and whiz it through clone and bob's your uncle one top of the range back up

4. movie_777

movie_777 Member

I just use CloneDVD to burn the movie to my DVD disc. For some reason it does not use the complete 4.35GB for compression. I have the Evolution DVD disc and I tried it with both CloneDVD and DVD Shrink. The ripped files were over 5GB and when I compressed with CloneDVD the output files were 3.95GB versus the DVD Shrink output files of 4.35GB. So I think Clone DVD overcompresses in some instances. I had the same problem with my Matrix DVD.

Thanks for your replies.

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I use a sony dru510a (d drives) I use dvdx platinum with very good results. I backed up my lord of the rings with excellent picture quality. There is no reason to lose picture quality. I also use AnyDVD with great effect. My PC has 120gig HD, 1Gig ram MSI delta motherboard, FSB @ 173 (quick & stable) Athlon 2.6 clocked to 2.1. Packard bell +R & -R seem to give good results.