1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CloneDVD Specifics

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by diverj, Feb 11, 2004.

1. diverj

diverj Regular member

I am totally confused about CloneDVD. There is so much old and useless information about this product. All of the guides are for older versions than the current 2.2 (even afterdawn's guides). I have specific questions I hope folks here can help me with. 1) Does the current cloneDVD support shrinking of a DVD9 to a DVD5 recordable? 2) Does the current version actually now support copy protected DVDs? Their website states it does, this forum states one needs "anydvd" before it will work? 3) Does CloneDVD need other software to burn, or does it burn DVDs its own self? My reasons for this third question is that I already have, use, and like Roxio's Easy CD Creator which I do not really want to stop using. If I can not use CloneDVD to shrink a DVD9 to DVD5 capacities, I will need a burning program and DVDShrink. I DO NOT want two extremely large, inflated, burning programs installed on my computer, and since I already use Roxio's I do not want to install Nero "just" to burn a copy. I could use DVDClone to burn DVDShrink's VOB files since its so small instead of installing and using Nero's inflated 27MB program (wish Roxio's would accept vob files :( ).

At any rate, as I said, there are a lot of mis information, OLD information, and contradictory information surrounding this program in my opinion. Any advice from those who actually know will be appreciated.

2. honz9

honz9 Member

CloneDVD (from elby.org) is designed to transcode or shrink a dvd9 to dvd5. It has its own burning engine also. You have the option of just making a iso file. CloneDVD DOES need anydvd to copy comercial dvds directly from the dvd itself. You could use another type of free software to "rip" the movie from a dvd and then re-encode it with clonedvd, but that takes longer than having anydvd installed. I highly recommend anydvd. German copyright laws prevent clonedvd from having its own internal decrypting engine for commercial dvds. So elby.org or elaborate bytes sold their “on-the-fly” decrypting engine to Slysoft which is based on some island somewhere where it is not illegal to sell Anydvd.

Go to filemirrors.com and search for anydvd to find links to the demo version of the software. Again, I recommend you do this. Also note that Nero has its own transcoding program called Nero Recode 2. This software also is limited as CloneDVD is and can not copy commercial dvds. But with Anydvd installed, there is no problem!

3. diverj

diverj Regular member

Then is there a difference between the software available on elby.org and clonedvd.net? If, so then it is even more confusing. They are BOTH called CloneDVD.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dennis Jones[/small]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  4. diverj

diverj Regular member

Okay, here is what I have done. I have downloaded the trial version of elby clonedvd AND AnyDVD. Installed both. Now I attempt to make a copy of Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers and clik "Clone DVD" from the interface.

I am taken to a browse screen (to select the drive with the LOR DVD) and once I select it, I am notified that this is a copy protected disk with an explaination, I click okay I understand. NOW, that is as far as clone DVD will allow me to go. There is NO next button, no information in the dialog boxes etc. I have checked anydvd and it has listed the CSS Key for Two Towers.

Apparently, these two programs do not work together as stated, OR, I am doing something wrong. Weren't these two programs suppose to work together with anydvd working seemlessly in the background?

5. honz9

honz9 Member

Something is wrong! You should see a red fox picture in the taskbar notification area. If this is installed properly then ANY DVD YOU HAVE IN YOUR COMPUTER IS AUTOMATICALLY DYCRYPTED.

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Start AnyDVD, then right click the Fox icon in system tray. Then go to settings if you already haven't. Check mark your default region at top half, check all options at bottom half. See if that helps.
    Jerry

7. diverj

diverj Regular member

Thanks for all the help. I uninstalled all programs and reinstalled them after re-booting and they are working great now. On a different note, apparently there is some scam going on with clonedvd. CloneDvd.net is trying to present themselves as elby.org and still internet presence and finances with a cheap ripoff of the original clonedvd. Of course most here already know about this anyway I assume, but that is why I was getting so confused at the beginning of this thread. Just stating CloneDVD or even searching for this on the internet kept bringing me to the ripoff (which I downloaded) and immediately knew there was something really strange.